Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help me read my daughter's allergy report! PLEASE!

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM
  • 18 Replies

I received her allergy repot in the mail today and i can't figure it out!!! can someone help me? What do the numbers mean? And she tested postive for a pecan tree allergy..does that mean she is allergic to the nut itself or just the tree?

it has these listed under a column that says INTRADERMAL.

Grasses

Timothy (p.pratense)- 4

KY blue grass ( pratensis)-4

Meadow Fesque (f. elatior)- 5

Bermuda (c. dactylon)- 4

Johnson grass (h. halepense)-6

Trees

Mountain Cedar (f. sabinoides)- 5

5 OAK (BJ, BUR Post, Red, White)- 4

Pecan (c. illinoeniis)- 4 **** does this mean she is allergic to the pecan nut?****

Cottonwood (p. deltoides)-5

American elm (u.americana)-6

Weeds

Amaranthus retroflexus-5

Amaranthus spinosus-7

Giant ragweed-6

Short ragweed-7

Western ragweed-6

Russian thistle-3

Kochia (burning bush) -2

Indoor Allergens

D. Farinae-5

D. Pteronyssinus-6

American Cockroach-0

Cat-8

Dog-7

MOLDS (FUNGI)

Cladosporium/Hormodendrum-7

Alternaria Tenuis-5

Helminthosporium/ Bipolaris-7

Aspergillius Fumigatus (or a mix)- 7

by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stefvan
by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I think the numbers are how big the reaction sites were for each of those.  I remember them measuring my dd's back for each one with this plastic thing that had holes in it for the different measurements.

okhsmom
by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Seems like there should be a "normal" range listed on the report for comparison. 

katiebugg2003
by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Quoting stefvan:

I think the numbers are how big the reaction sites were for each of those.  I remember them measuring my dd's back for each one with this plastic thing that had holes in it for the different measurements.

Do you know if a pecan tree allergy means you are allergic to just the tree or the nut?

haileys-mama
by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM

there should be a scale telling you a 1-10 range of reaction to the allergen

stefvan

Quoting katiebugg2003:

Quoting stefvan:

Do you know if a pecan tree allergy means you are allergic to just the tree or the nut?

Looks like they only tested the tree.  She'd have to be tested for the nut. 

Do you go back and meet with the doctor to discuss treatment?

katiebugg2003

Quoting okhsmom:

Seems like there should be a "normal" range listed on the report for comparison. 

no there is not..it just says 1.Allergen testing. location. upper arm. Device. QUINTIP. 3. Intradermal 0.02 ml injected. 4. results. Longest diameter or longest diameter and orthogonal diameter of wheal and erythema measured in millimeters at 15 minutes. Blank results in column indicates test was not performed, 0= negative.

katiebugg2003
by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Quoting stefvan:

Quoting katiebugg2003:

Quoting stefvan:

no! the only things she goes back for is for a repeat sinus xray and allergy shots.

stefvan
by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Quoting katiebugg2003:

Quoting stefvan:

Quoting katiebugg2003:

Quoting stefvan:

no! the only things she goes back for is for a repeat sinus xray and allergy shots.

That's odd.  We met with the dr after my dd's tests (she had 2 rounds) so he could go over everything she is allergic to and then we started the shots.  They didn't test her for foods or dust?? 

katiebugg2003
by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Quoting stefvan:

Quoting katiebugg2003:

Quoting stefvan:

Quoting katiebugg2003:

Quoting stefvan:

That's odd.  We met with the dr after my dd's tests (she had 2 rounds) so he could go over everything she is allergic to and then we started the shots.  They didn't test her for foods or dust?? 

unless they only mailed out a partial list..no. i thought they did test her for dust though..seems i recall her saying somethign about it the day we went but its not listed on this list unless its disgused as one of those odd looking ones under indoor allergens..

katiebugg2003
by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM

ahhh so googling says that D. Farinae is the dust mite.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN