Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My son has a lump under his left nipple

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 12:52 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 14 year old son came to me a couple of days ago and told me he has a hard lump under his left nipple. He wanted me to feel it. So after convincing myself that I'm not a pervert for feeling up my son's nips, I felt the lump. He's right, it is a hard little lump right under his nipple. Of course my first thought was fear, because I know men can get breast cancer, but before I called Kaiser I decided to do a google search. 

It turns out that pre-pubescent boys can get little lumps there because the hormones in their bodies are going a little crazy, including the estrogen they have. Basically from what I read, my son is growing a boob. Not to worry, it's not permanent and will (hopefully) go away.

I told my son what I found and assured him it would go away, and then I said, "The good news is, you should start your period soon."  He laughed and said, "Heeeyyyy!"

I had to go to Target later, so I told my son I would pick up a bra for him while I was there. That little brat came back with, "Don't bother, I'll just use one of yours. It's not like you need it."

Score one for the kid.

And before I get any unnecessary advice, he has an appointment with the doctor, just to make sure it's nothing.  

by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
serjil
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 12:54 AM

bump

tomatoqueen
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Sounds like he has a great sense of humor and a good relationship with you. 

jojolicious220
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 1:03 AM

I hope it's nothing. I had to laugh about the bra thing. 

NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 1:03 AM
I agree :)

Quoting tomatoqueen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairy_fan
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Well, you posted about it so I will tell you my experience, or at least my oldest sons' experience.  It was called Gynecomastia and he DID have to have it removed.  We caught his before he actually developed boobs.

He had to have a mammogram of each breast and it showed enough tissue that his doctor was able to get the surgery approved.  

serjil
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Yikes! I certainly hope it doesn't come to that. Thanks for the input though.

Quoting fairy_fan:

Well, you posted about it so I will tell you my experience, or at least my oldest sons' experience.  It was called Gynecomastia and he DID have to have it removed.  We caught his before he actually developed boobs.

He had to have a mammogram of each breast and it showed enough tissue that his doctor was able to get the surgery approved.  

arianna24
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 1:13 AM

HAHAHAHAHA!!! cute kid =]

serjil
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 1:13 AM

We do have a pretty good relationship. It's just him and me, so I have always tried to be open with him since he doesn't have a dad to tell him stuff.  

Quoting tomatoqueen:

tomatoqueen
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Quoting serjil:

We do have a pretty good relationship. It's just him and me, so I have always tried to be open with him since he doesn't have a dad to tell him stuff.  

Quoting tomatoqueen:

I know what that is like because I have 2 sons and have been alone with them for 13 years.

yayay15
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 1:16 AM

That's cute! Let's hope it's nothing serious though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)