Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Bringing home a child for Christmas

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 11:38 PM
  • 11 Replies

For the last few days my DF keeps asking me if there is any program i guess you would call it, where you can bring home a child for Christmas. Like a child that is in foster care. He said he heard it somewhere that there was such a thing, but can not remember where he heard it, but he would like for us to do it, if possible. I told him the only thing i could think of you having a foster child at Christmas, would be if you are a foster parent, and were fostering a child during Christmas. And the only other think i know is picking a family and buying Christmas for that family, but you dont bring them home. We want to foster to adopt, but it will be after we are married, as we want us both to be able to adopt the child. (Here a single person can adopt a child) So does anyone know if there is such a thing, or anything similar? And if so, where can i find information on it.

by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manda325
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 11:41 PM
I know that some of the residential treaatment centers in tx do that.... maybe an idea. btw, we are foster/adoptive parents, adopted 2 girls last yr and plan on adding 2 boys to our family next yr.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BIMOM21
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2010 at 11:41 PM
bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cressida
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 11:52 PM

BUMP!

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2010 at 2:19 AM

I've never heard of that.  You could call your state's foster care department and ask.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 10, 2010 at 2:35 AM

BUMP!

mitch576
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 6:02 AM

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

I've never heard of that.  You could call your state's foster care department and ask.

call the state and ask them about "adopt a family"

they will give you information on a family {usually a single mom with kids}  kids' sizes and ages, genders...

and you can give the family a nice christmas. clothes, some toys, books..  it's a wonderful program.

admin for autism, asperger's, pdd awareness
OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

imamombygrace
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Adopt a family on Freecycle. I've seen it many years on here where they place a ad for Thanksgiving and Christmas time...invite someone over to spend the day with them and even arrange the pick up/drop off for them. Also, check with your local homeless shelter and see if someone there would be interested in spending time with your family for the holidays. I want to do this every year and DH is skiddish about inviting strangers into our home. I had a bad experience once helping a homeless man(it's a passion of mine)...so he is really stand offish now since that incident.

imamombygrace
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Also, you could pick a Cafemom...maybe even in your area too...to offer Christmas too. There are lots of non perishable items you could send her for a meal and toys for her children...even if they are used or from the dollar tree. I would ask up front and if she is cool with it...make a holiday gift box to send or if she is in your local area...to drop off or invite them to your home.

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2010 at 6:59 AM

to those saying adopt a family i think the point of this program would be so that a child who had NO parents would be able to do christmas in a family setting

mitch576
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Quoting gypsy_rose:

to those saying adopt a family i think the point of this program would be so that a child who had NO parents would be able to do christmas in a family setting

in that case, i would call the big brothers, big sister association.  they probably have a list of children who need a family to celebrate holidays with. 

admin for autism, asperger's, pdd awareness
OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)