Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

has anyone had to undergo surgery that required anesthesia while pregnant?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 4:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am 15 weeks pregnant right now, and I have a cyst behind my ear drum that needs to be removed within a relatively soon time frame since I've had it for so long without knowing.

My midwife said that if it needs to be done then it should be done after 20 weeks.

Has anyone had to have any surgery? Did it affect the baby??

Any advice would help ladies!

by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommy2ree
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I needed surgery at 24 weeks to remove an ovarian cyst that was growing out of control. They found it at 20 weeks and told me they would leave it alone till after delivery as long as it did not get out of control, well it was growing quicker than the baby and was causing pain which caused contractions. I was under for 1.5 hours they had a team standing by in case I went into labor, lucky I did not. I had no issues with the rest of my pregnancy other than best rest until delivery due to the recovery from the surgery since they needed to cut me open instead of going through my belly button since the baby was already to big.

Best of Luck

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I never had surgery while pregnant. here is a bump maybe someone else did!

rheavener
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I had abdominal surgery when i was 18 weeks pregnant they put me under and baby was fine  i had a tumor on my ovary  the tumor was the size of a softball i think i was out about 2 hours. 

NikkiPitt0805
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I can't offer any advice, but here's a bump for you, good luck mama!

kristin_1984
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM

i had to be put on anesthesia because of a kidney condition i had. I came out fine. I do not remember how far along i was tho. it was more than 7 years ago.

loves_her_baby
by on Nov. 11, 2010 at 4:23 AM

BUMP!

AlaskanMommy81
by on Nov. 11, 2010 at 4:29 AM

Last fall my sister-in-law had to undergo surgery for which they thought was simple exploratory surgery to find out if her appendix were about to erupt.  It was going to be a few small incisions and ended up being a large incision that went up and down on her belly.  They found a mess, they removed the appendix and part of one of her intestines(can't remember which one) because it looked like something exploded.  The appendix was tested and came back normal and they now want to do a colonoscopy to look for possible chrons' disease.  The baby did totally fine and she did to, and they are both doing great now.  The baby is 7 1/2 months old now.

Edit: I forgot to add that she was around 14 weeks along when they did the surgery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)