Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

"A Child Called It" a Fake Story?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 2:48 AM
  • 126 Replies

Here is a small excerpt from the article since it's so long:

I spoke with one of Pelzer's younger brothers, Stephen, 40, who was stricken with Bell's palsy as a child and whose speech is slightly slurred. Stephen denies his mother abused David or burned him or forced him to eat dog feces. ''Please!'' he says. ''That never happened.'' As a witness to the stabbing incident, Stephen says: ''I saw mom cutting food when David grabbed her arm and got a small cut from the knife. There wasn't even any blood, yet he screamed, 'Mommy stabbed me!'''

Stephen says David wasn't ostracized from the family, but that ''he was very close to me and Robert,'' the oldest brother. ''We were 'The Three Musketeers.' But David had to be the center of attention. He was a hyper, spoiled brat.''

Pelzer's grandmother, Ruth Cole, 92, remembers him as a ''disruptive kid, only interested in himself, with big ideas of grandeur.'' She says he bragged that celebrities, like Chuck Yeager, would be at his and Patsy's wedding. ''But it was just a few family members in the garage,'' she says. ''His books should be in the fiction section.''

Stephen adds that he thinks his brother was taken away from the family because ''he started a fire and was caught shoplifting. He was out of control. Even the Air Force didn't want him.'' Stephen claims Dave was discharged on psychological grounds.

When Pelzer learned that Stephen said this, he refuted it by producing a form from the Department of Veterans Affairs saying he had received an honorable discharge. ''Everyone sees things differently,'' Pelzer says. ''Besides,'' he adds, in a claim that seemed to me to be completely untrue, ''Stephen is semiretarded.''

That evening, Pelzer is driving toward Barnes & Noble. ''I thought my speech was a seven and a half,'' he says of his talk that day. ''You just want to make them happy.'' His cellphone rings. He answers it, nods, says ''Roger!'' and clicks off. ''Marsha used to fantasize, 'Dave Pelzer, No. 1 New York Times best seller,''' he says. He shakes his head. ''Now I don't want to screw up when my mojo's going good.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/28/magazine/dysfunction-for-dollars.html

I just want to clarify that I'm not debunking if it happened or not...I don't care if it did or not since stuff like this DOES happen...I just researched it a bit since in the "A Child Called It" posts, there's always someone who says the story isn't true.

Also, in the article, when Dave is blatantly asked if the story is about him, he says something along the lines of, "it's about a kid who survived." So that can be taken various different ways.

Regardless of if you think the story is true or not, realize that child abuse is a very serious issue and should not be taken lightly.

Army wife to Chad (12/28/2007) army

Mommy to Jeffrey (10/14/2009) baby boy

Military Moms
Join us on The Military Moms Group - -Military Moms Group Mod

by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 2:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
your.name.here
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 2:58 AM

THEY HAD TEACHERS THAT REPORTED IT AND EVERYTHING THOUGH....IDK. I BELIEVE ITS TRUE. 

Holly.
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 3:00 AM

I believe it's true, because he said it was, and I don't believe anyone that had a soul would lie about something like that.

(Yeah, I tend to think the best of people.)

Ohiomomto2
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 3:07 AM

It's a true story... His teachers finally reported it, and his story is used as a tool to teach teachers and others what to look for...and as an example of what CAN happen.

lcappytan05
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 3:10 AM

In other articles, his brother Richard said it happened, but it wasn't as bad as Dave said it was...which could be possible since through a child's eyes, things can be exaggerated. I'm not saying that's the case, but it's possible.

Quoting Holly.:

I believe it's true, because he said it was, and I don't believe anyone that had a soul would lie about something like that.

Military Moms

lcappytan05
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 3:11 AM

Again, I'm not saying it's not true.

Like I just said in a response to the PP, his brother Richard states that there was abuse but it wasn't as horrendous as Dave made it out to be...

Quoting Ohiomomto2:

It's a true story... His teachers finally reported it, and his story is used as a tool to teach teachers and others what to look for...and as an example of what CAN happen.

Military Moms

FL2AK
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 3:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the truth is probably in the middle.

HouseKatof2
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 3:13 AM

Quoting lcappytan05:

In other articles, his brother Richard said it happened, but it wasn't as bad as Dave said it was...which could be possible since through a child's eyes, things can be exaggerated. I'm not saying that's the case, but it's possible.

Quoting Holly.:

Yes, but the flip side of that (through the eyes of the other child) is that it wasn't that bad because they were not witness to everything the abused child had to endure and/or didn't have a full understanding of what was going on.  

"It is in our obligation to endure that we achieve the right to know."
~My Dad   

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" 
~Fredrick Douglass

Megan6432
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 3:14 AM
I was able to go to one of Pelzer's lectures and I have to say afterward he signed autigraphs and he was the most real genuine person I think I have ever met... That being said it's a true story
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ayla-bellesmom

It could also be that, because it didn't happen to his brothers, it wasn't AS significant to them, maybe not as memorable. That can happen with children too. I know that, now that my brother and I are adults, there are things that I remember very vividly, that he has almost no recollection of, and similarily, things that affected him greatly as a child, impacted me very minimally and stand out less to me. Who knows?

Quoting lcappytan05:

Quoting Holly.:

Click to join!

lcappytan05

Yes, that's true, which is why I'm not saying that is the case....

Quoting HouseKatof2:

Quoting lcappytan05:

Quoting Holly.:

Yes, but the flip side of that (through the eyes of the other child) is that it wasn't that bad because they were not witness to everything the abused child had to endure and/or didn't have a full understanding of what was going on.  

Military Moms

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)