Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My mother is being a jerk. What would you do?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2010 at 9:41 PM
  • 28 Replies

Okay I really need some advice on what to do with my jerk of a mother. Okay so my dh and I went over to visit my mother and stepdad and the whole time since me and dh announced we were expecting again my mother has been nothing but rude to me. She keeps on saying I look fat not pg. Like she has room to talk she weighs a good 150lbs more then me. I have asked alot of my friends and family for their honest opinion and asked if I looked fat and they have all said no. It seems my mother is the only one who thinks so. I looked at myself in the mirror and it looks like I taped a watermelon to my stomach. I just don't know what to do anymore with her every time I see her or talk to her she insults us and it is always about our pregnancy. I seriously thinks she is jealous of us.

Well I have thought about what to do and the best I came up with is to ask my grandmother (my mothers mother) to have a talk with my mother about her attitude. My grandmother is one of those elderly women who are very outspoken and a no nonsence type of ppl. I was thinking since my own mother won't listen to me when I tell her to stop insulting us that she would listen to her own mother. Everyone listens to my grandmother. And I was thinking of talking to my grandmother about talking to my mother about this at Thanksgiving since that is the only time I will see her until Christmas. So what do you think? What would you do?

by on Nov. 15, 2010 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RmeWifey01
by on Nov. 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM

I think you should tell your mom to stfu if she wants to EVER see her grandbabies. I had to tell my mother this once.

ChiCheHa
by on Nov. 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM

I would tell her to stfu...but thats just me...ignore her!

jillbailey26
by on Nov. 15, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I'd just say "Hey ma, you're being a jerk" and ask her why.  I have that type of relationship with my mom though, even my mother in law.  I can tell them to back off and they will.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

chalisa0
by Kim on Nov. 15, 2010 at 9:51 PM

She does sound jealous.  Is she bipolar? 

getting_by_ok
by on Nov. 15, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Involving another family member will only make your mother embarrassed, upset, adn mad at you. Telling her off will do the same thing.

IMO, what I would do is when Mom begins to make those comments over the phone, you say "Well, Mom, gotta go. Bye!" then HANG UP immediately without giving her a chance to say a word. If you are visiting, same thing- get up, take baby and hubby, and say "Thanks for the visit!" and walk out. I would not choose a time like Thanksgiving to do this, though, because it is in front of other people.

If she says something rude to you at Thanksgiving, just say, very calmly, and loud enough for others to hear, "Oh, my, what a rude comment! Did you mean that to hurt my feelings?" then immediately (again without waiting for her to respond) turn to someone else and begin cheerfully talking about another subject. Practice so you will have something to say without pause. 

Countrygerl
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Quoting chalisa0:

She does sound jealous.  Is she bipolar? 

Not that I know of. But we don't know why in the world she would be jealous.

Mrs.Bryant1201
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM
That sucks. My mil did that shit to my & guess who hasn't seen ds since june..... Just saying stand your ground! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Enmity
by on Nov. 15, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Oh jeezus! Did you just say you are going to tell on your mom -- to your grandmother? Really?

imandia4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I would just avoid her all together for a little while and when she finally asks why you don't talk to her then tell her. Pregnancy should be a happy time don't let her take away from it.

Countrygerl
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Quoting Enmity:

Oh jeezus! Did you just say you are going to tell on your mom -- to your grandmother? Really?

If you read my whole post you would of read that if she won't listen to us maybe she would listen to my grandmother. Dh and I need back up in dealing with my mother and she the best person for the job is my grandmother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)