Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

SIDS

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM
  • 16 Replies

I watch Dr G and in all the supposed SIDS cases she always finds the cause of the death. So why do most autopsies of SIDS cases go unexplained? I believe they aren't doing thorough autopsies. I think SIDS is "sorry I didn't see". I do not believe a healthy baby would die for no reason. I think they need to push for better newborn testing so they CAN see that there was an underlying cause for the death.

by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katiPeas
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM

BUMP!

yayay15
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

i have seen a lot of studies relating it to vaccines.

crazynlove1207
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I never understood this either... People call certain things "SIDS risks".. I don't get it, SIDS is sudden infant death, unexplained but apparently most people lump asphyxiation in with SIDS... Most cases of SIDS now days are due to asphyxiation but are still labeled SIDS... Asphyxiation is preventable, SIDS is supposedly not... I don't get it...

CafeMom Tickers
babybump87
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM

ok, the vaccine thing is a tricky subject, i think its wise to be skeptical of new vaccines because they havent been around long enough to really see if there are any long term side affects. But with all the theories on vaccines, very little if anything at all has actually been proven to be linked to childrens vaccines, i think the media and all these rumors are causing families across the nation to opt for non vaxing, which is why were are now seeing a rise in infant related deaths to pertussis....whats next, polio...i do agree that they should be doing more research on sids....i just dont think its vaccine related

pasteeater
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 1:30 PM

My son died of SIDS.  TWO days after his shots...I'm just saying.  I'm not sure if that had something to do with it or not.  It just happened that way.  They DID do a through autospy on him because by LAW they have to.  It kind of hurts my feelings [even though I KNOW you did not mean to hurt anyone by posting this] when I read stuff like that.  It feels kind of like people minimize the death.  Regardless of how they died, they died.  And it's terrible.

sweet.lil.mama
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 1:34 PM

they say its some type of chemical in the body, babies are born with enough but some with not enough and they are at risk for dying of sids, they can test when they are born, i think they need to do more testing and prevention its not fair for the families losing their babies

wife.machado
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I completly agree with you on that.  When I had my frist child I was terrified of the chances SIDS could happen to my daughter.  Not knowing what caused it freaked me out.  For acouple of months (which some of you will disagree with me on) I had her sleep in my bed with me when my husband was deployed afraid she would stop breathing or something.  I bought one of those newborn sleeper pillows, the ones were they have the sidings so the baby cant roll over.  I couldnt sleep that well, I would wake up almost ever 30 min to and hour just to check if she was breathing because she was so quite.  I believe theres something they're missing, babies dont just die for no reason.

soon2bemomof307
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM

BUMP!

JADIEBUG
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Study Finds SIDS Link

By R. STICKNEY and TONY SHIN
Updated 12:32 AM PST, Wed, Feb 3, 2010

Babies who die of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) have lower levels of serotonin, according to a new study released by researchers at Harvard and Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego.

The study, to be published Wednesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), found that SIDS babies had decreased levels of serotonin in their brainstems.

Serotonin is the chemical that helps regulate breathing, blood pressure and heart rate in the brain during sleep.

Researchers obtained tissue samples from the autopsies of infants with and without SIDS between 2004 and 2008, obtained from the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office through the San Diego SIDS Research Project.

Study Finds SIDS Link

Study Finds SIDS Link
WATCH

Study Finds SIDS Link

They found that serotonin levels were 26% lower in SIDS cases compared with the control group. Additionally, levels of tryptophan hydroxylase, a key biosynthetic enzyme of serotonin, were 22% lower in SIDS cases.

“The current findings extend those of our earlier research further and suggest that SIDS can be caused by one or more defects in the brainstem serotonergic system that regulates serotonin production and binding,” according to Dr. Henry Krous, Director of Pathology Research at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego and a co-author of the article.

One of the Boston researchers suggests that if a baby is put face down in the bed, it begins to re-breathe carbon dioxide which is toxic.

“A normal baby could respond to that challenge, lift its head up, turn its head and arouse or wake up but a baby who has a defect in those brain stem circuits that use serotonin can't do that when challenged and they go on to die," said Hannah C. Kinney, M.D. with Children’s Hospital Boston.

Researchers believe the findings may give a biological basis for infants to be put to sleep on their backs.

SIDS is the leading cause of unexpected death in babies one month to one year. Risk factors for SIDS include prone (stomach) sleep position, bedsharing and sleeping on soft porous surfaces.

Parents who have lost children to SIDS are hoping this discovery will lead to prediction and prevention.

"There is no closure with SIDS, so that would be amazing,"said Santee resident Jeri Wilson.  She lost her three month old daughter in 1993.  "It would relieve so many parents of guilt."

The full text of this study will be available on the JAMA website.

Source: Study Finds SIDS Link | NBC San Diego
JADIEBUG
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Serotonin is the chemical's name.

Quoting sweet.lil.mama:

they say its some type of chemical in the body, babies are born with enough but some with not enough and they are at risk for dying of sids, they can test when they are born, i think they need to do more testing and prevention its not fair for the families losing their babies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)