Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lip Picking...HELP!!!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:34 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 2yr old dd's lips peeled a few months back. Ever since she is basically obsessed with picking the skin on her lips. She has bled repeatedly from this and sometimes it hurts her to eat with her sore lips. Today I noticed her entire bottom lip was bruised, swollen and split in multiple places and my dh noticed blood in the sink when she brushed coming from her lips. I don't know what to do to get her to stop. Please help.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pookah1203
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:34 AM
Use vasoline, or carmax.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DYNARAH
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:44 AM

I tried A&D ointment since it's ok if she ingests any of it (learned this from poison control when she manged to get a hold of a tube somehow and swallowed almost the whole thing). She still picks. Never heard of carmax.  Thank you for the advice.

serjil
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:51 AM

I have done and will do the same thing. Does she pick at her scabs too? It's a gross question I know, but, and this is embarassing, I have done that since I can remember. Hopefully she doesn't because now I have scars all over my arms, legs and face because of it.

Anyway, vaseline for the lips is awesome. Just keep putting it on all the time. It really helps a lot. 

WINLPHZTLOML
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:59 AM

ok i started at 2 yrs old as well and im 25 now and still do it. so far nothing has worked but i will tell u if u use anything that might make her lips burn like the carmax it makes it worse because she will just want it off so she will pick at them til its off cause of the fact that it burns. if u end of finding something that works please let me know

DYNARAH
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:00 AM

No scab picking that I notice. She freaks out when she sees them though, but her lips. It's like she is not even aware she is doing it. Like when she is watching tv, she sits there picking and I catch her when she is playing, one hand  on toys, one on lips. I used to pick at my scabs and sometimes still do so don't be embarrassed. My knees are scarred from me doing it.

DYNARAH
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:02 AM

I know desitin burns because I tried it on a scratch I had. I get really bad dry lips from my allergy infection and used A&D on my lips. It soothes, heals fast and smells nice. If I can get her to stop I will let you know.

serjil
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Trust me, just keep putting on the Vaseline. It is great for softening the dry skin even. She may still pick, but it will eventually go away. I use Vaseline at night before I go to bed and my lips stay fairly moist, but I use chap stick or the equivalent during the day. I hate chapped lips. 

wickedbehla
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:09 AM

BUMP!

Allikats-momma
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:12 AM

my dd does the same thing [she's 2yrs also] I havent been able to get her to stop either...I'll try A&D too

DYNARAH
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Update: had dd sit on her hands, sort of, while watching her night time movie. Almost two hours of not picking her lips. It's not much, but its a beginning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)