Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this is considered college?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:41 AM
  • 67 Replies

Poll

Question: Considered a college or not?

Options:

Yep, college

Nope, not college

Other...cuz there's always an other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 142

View Results

I recently graduated from cosmetology school.  My mom likes to tell all her friends that I graduated from college.  My sister however, always says that I didn't graduate from college, it's just a trade school so it's nothing for anyone to brag about (she didn't even graduate high school).  So...can I say I graduated from college...or no?  I don't really care either way...I'm damn proud of myself, WI is one of the longest schooling programs in the US, there's only 8 states that require more hours.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:43 AM
I wouldn't consider it a college, but it's still something to be damn proud of!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bella_Angel
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:43 AM

I would say so..

And might I add.. it sounds like your sister has a bit of a jealously problem.. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, but that's just what it reads to me..

Holly.
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:45 AM

I wouldn't consider it college ONLY because you only learn one thing there: cosmetology. At a college, you choose your major (ex: Literature) and you take lots of Lit classes but you also are required to take math, science, history, etc. to get a degree. At a trade school, you are only required to take classes in your trade.

But at the same time, you DO have higher education and you can use it for a career. So don't let what she says bother you - you worked hard to get where you are, and that is what matters!

GigantaursMommy
by Mrs.Awesome Face on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:47 AM

It's not college but you did complete a trade school and should be dang proud of it, which I believe you are. Your sister is more then likely just jealous.

bayliesmommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:50 AM
i think anything furthering your education passed high school can be considered college. Cosmetology is my trade also. i just say i completed cosmetology school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazymama0286
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:54 AM
well if you wanna be a dr you go to med school you want to do hair and make up and although you didn't have to take any classes other than what you needed to learn to do the job of a hair stylest or make up artist you did better than someone who did nothing. Plus i think you have to go to a school like you did to get any job doing hair or make up. If your mom is proud and your proud then hell with your sister. You did what you needed to do to make your life better and you probably worked your butt off to get where you are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetheart5703
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:56 AM

I would not put cosmetology in the same category as college. In a college or university you will earn a degree at the end. A degree requires usually a minimum of 180 college credits. Including core and general education classes that you must pass. In cosmetology you do not earn a degree you earn a diploma. You can get your license. It's not the same because you cannot go to work for an attorney, or hospital, or even accounting job, and say, "Hey I got my cosmetology diploma". That won't work. I am not saying what you did does not count, it is an accomplishment, and you should feel proud. I even thought of doing it myself, cosmetology. But I decided to stick with finishing my degree. I have a year left before I graduate. Either way, I am not better or anything. As long as you have done something worthy in your life, that you can be happy and proud of, that is all that matters. Kudos  to you :)

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:03 AM

I may not be able to get an accounting job because of my "cosmetology diploma" but I actually do have to take boards before I can get my license.  Just because you graduate doesn't mean anything.  You still have to pass state boards before you can legally do hair/nails/esthetics/massage.  And cosmetology school isn't all about painting nails and putting shears to hair.  It's actually quite hard...you have to learn most of the bones, muscles and nerves of the body (there are 206 bones and over 600 mucles), the history of cosmetology, business classes, chemistry, etc.  I genuinely thank you for your kudos, but please don't make it sound like I just painted nails for the last 14 months (1800 hours).  :)

Quoting sweetheart5703:

I would not put cosmetology in the same category as college. In a college or university you will earn a degree at the end. A degree requires usually a minimum of 180 college credits. Including core and general education classes that you must pass. In cosmetology you do not earn a degree you earn a diploma. You can get your license. It's not the same because you cannot go to work for an attorney, or hospital, or even accounting job, and say, "Hey I got my cosmetology diploma". That won't work. I am not saying what you did does not count, it is an accomplishment, and you should feel proud. I even thought of doing it myself, cosmetology. But I decided to stick with finishing my degree. I have a year left before I graduate. Either way, I am not better or anything. As long as you have done something worthy in your life, that you can be happy and proud of, that is all that matters. Kudos  to you :)

alexa_112
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:04 AM

i wouldnt consider it college at all only because it doesnt take as long as actual college does... ive been going for 5 years full time... havent failed a class and i still cant get done... too many classes =/ but ill be done in a year and itll be such a great accomplishment

jackiec7707
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Haters make me laugh.  I voted that it's college, but I guess technically it's not.  Regardless you should be very proud of yourself.  I would just laugh at your sister whenever she tries to downplay your accomplishments. WTG mama!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)