Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I worked at a jewelry store for 7 years, ask me anything!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:57 AM
  • 16 Replies
Meh...can't sleep...why not...you know what to do, lol :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZelisMommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:59 AM

what's the mark-up on stuff and did you get commission on what you sold? 

baby_pumpkin523
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:00 AM

is this a good looking engagement ring?

sweetheart5703
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:00 AM

I never respond to ask me anything posts but I will for this one lol. Has anything ever been stolen when you were working there? What is the craziest story you have about working at the jewelry store.

abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:01 AM
A jeweler told me today that gold rings have a hypoallergenic rhodium plating that wears off, and is likely why I'm suddenly breaking out on my ring finger. Have you ever heard of that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:01 AM

I am looking for Yellow topaz earring so my SO... think I can find men's colored stone earrings or should I quit looking?

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:02 AM
It really depends on the store...where I worked at, it was anywhere from 2 to 3 times, but most big name stores (Jared, Zales, etc) mark up 4 to 5 times.

We worked on an hourly salary :) I am so glad, too, because I can't imagine having to "compete" with my co-workers.

Quoting ZelisMommy:

what's the mark-up on stuff and did you get commission on what you sold? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:02 AM
I'm on my phone, so it's a little hard to see, but it looks gorgeous to me!

Quoting baby_pumpkin523:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baby_pumpkin523
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:05 AM

my DH said that it is a leo diamond. Are leo's good?

Quoting beadingmom17:

I'm on my phone, so it's a little hard to see, but it looks gorgeous to me!

Quoting baby_pumpkin523:

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:06 AM
Yes, some things were stolen...mostly small, petty stuff (like $5 earrings)...we caught most of the big time theft before it happened.

Hmmm...crazy stories...well, it's mostly just crazy people, LOL! I've had people take the nastiest earrings out of their ears and put them in my bare hand (puke!)...lots of pieces with neat history (pearls from WWII from Japan, hundred year old rings)...nothing super crazy :)

Quoting sweetheart5703:

I never respond to ask me anything posts but I will for this one lol. Has anything ever been stolen when you were working there? What is the craziest story you have about working at the jewelry store.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:09 AM
Well, white gold rings are all rhodium plated to make them super white. Most people don't react to rhodium, so it's fairly hypoallergenic. As it wears off, you'll notice your white gold rings will look yellowish...you probably are sensitive to to an alloy in the gold. Take your rings to a jeweler and ask them about having them re-dipped :)

Quoting abstractmommy:

A jeweler told me today that gold rings have a hypoallergenic rhodium plating that wears off, and is likely why I'm suddenly breaking out on my ring finger. Have you ever heard of that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)