Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you call an ambulance? ***EDIT WITH NEW QUESTION***

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:30 AM
  • 32 Replies

Or wait til morning? Baby is 10 weeks old and has had a cold for a few days. Needless to say, we just woke up and he felt warm so I took his temp. It's 100.9, which is only .5 higher than they say it can go to. They say if its 100.4 or greater to take them to the ER. I have 2 other kids here, no gas in the van, and no transmission fluid. IF i bring him in I would have to A - Walk (its bitter cold and windy out so NOT happening) or B - call an ambulance. We are on medical assistance so they only cover ambulance rides in true emergencies. Is this a true emergency? Should I take the wait adn see approach and call public transport in the morning for a ride if he is still feverish then? HELP!!

So its morning and he still has a fever. It's still fairly low but it worries me since it's been a few hours. Public transport is all booked for the day so I get to walk to the doctor. It's friggin cold out too. According to weather.com it is 21 but feels like 11 with the wind. Do you ladies think he will be ok if I put him in his carrier, wearing his "snowsuit" and stuff the whole "package" inside my coat? It's about 8 blocks to the hospital from my house.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coug7099
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:32 AM

If he is breathing ok I would not call an ambulance.

Holly.
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:34 AM

Is there a friend or relative you can call? I wouldn't call it a 911 emergency, but it is very important that you get him to the hospital. Have you taken any measures to lower the fever - like Tylenol?

SamNStefanMommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:35 AM

Other than his fever and stuffy nose he seems to be ok. He's not crying or anything. And he is still his usual smiley self so I am trying to take that as a good sign.

Quoting coug7099:

If he is breathing ok I would not call an ambulance.

cdnmom24
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:36 AM

Do you have a dr's hotline that you can call? If you do have a number then call them and see what they say. If they say it isn't an emergency then stay home and in the morning take him in to see a dr if the fever is still around.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

SamNStefanMommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:37 AM

If we were back home I could call someone, but since we are at our house in the town that we just moved to, Iknow noone :( I am such a horribly unprepared mother. We only have children's tylenol and not infant. I'm looking up the dosing chart now so I can see if I can give him a small dose of that or not.

Quoting Holly.:

Is there a friend or relative you can call? I wouldn't call it a 911 emergency, but it is very important that you get him to the hospital. Have you taken any measures to lower the fever - like Tylenol?

serioussifL
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:38 AM

I wouldnt call an ambulance for that. FYI you can call and refuse an ambulance ride, and not be charged for it. However, I dont reccomend doing that unless you are in a big emergency. Even then, they probably wouldnt let your other 2 kids ride in the ambulance if they let you ride with your son. Give him a cool (not cold!) bath, and continue to take temperature every hour.

Also, Im sure a neighbor (even one you dont know) would help out in this situation, if they could.

SamNStefanMommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:39 AM

Not in this podunk town LOL I don't even really have a phone. I live next door to a hardware store and they let me use the phone when I need to. But of course, they are not open at night. THis sucks!

Quoting cdnmom24:

Do you have a dr's hotline that you can call? If you do have a number then call them and see what they say. If they say it isn't an emergency then stay home and in the morning take him in to see a dr if the fever is still around.

SamNStefanMommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:41 AM

I found the acetaminophen doseage chart and it says that I CAN give him children's tylenol at his weight. Just a 1/2 tsp. So I'm gonna do that and then hopefully it will help. Thanks for the answers ladies.

SAMNMAYASMOM
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:43 AM

UHM...NO! It's if it's 103 or higher to take them to the ER. Just give the baby a pain killer/fever reducer, and the baby should be fine. If he still has a fever tomorrow that's around 103, then take him in.

SamNStefanMommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:47 AM

If under 3 months, it's anything higher than 100.4 just so ya know.

Quoting SAMNMAYASMOM:

UHM...NO! It's if it's 103 or higher to take them to the ER. Just give the baby a pain killer/fever reducer, and the baby should be fine. If he still has a fever tomorrow that's around 103, then take him in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)