Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is America Honourable?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:34 AM
  • 3 Replies

I've seen discussions about whether America is Good or Evil and whether it is a Victim or Bully.

But something that comes up far more rarely is the word "Honour".  (Well, ok, "honor" if you're an American).

I've been reading the WikiLeak cables, and one passage lept out from the secret cable sent by LeBaron (the American ambassador to Qutar) to Washington, to brief them before the upcoming visit from the Prime Minister of Qutar:

Qatar almost certainly will not be willing to break off ties or dialogue with Hamas.  If asked to do so, we think HBJ will explain that the Amir gave his word to both Hamas and Fatah that he would financially support the winner of democratic elections in Palestine.  Hamas won those elections, which the Bush Administration pressed the Amir to support actively.  The Amir believes that it would be dishonorable to isolate Hamas after he convinced its leaders to participate in elections that were backed by the United States.

Is it honourable to encourage other countries to get Hamas to engage in elections, then try to persuade them to cut off ties?

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
serjil
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:40 AM

This kind of stuff makes my head spin. I don't know enough about world politics to answer based on your question, but I think every government or dictatorship is not completely "honorable" in every single aspect. I think every country is looking out for their own interests, and they all dance around the issues so that everyone goes away happy. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:43 AM

Quoting serjil:

This kind of stuff makes my head spin. I don't know enough about world politics to answer based on your question, but I think every government or dictatorship is not completely "honorable" in every single aspect. I think every country is looking out for their own interests, and they all dance around the issues so that everyone goes away happy. 

Ditto.   I do not profess to know politics at all  to even try to intepret what others report on.

Godstar
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:59 AM
*zips lips* for now...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)