Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Screaming kids in the store....

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:25 AM
  • 19 Replies

When or if your child was screaming at the top of his/her lungs in the store do you take them outside or continue shopping while your child is screaming bloody murder? (I don't mean a little crying or a little fit but I mean screaming bloody murder where you can hear it through the whole store)

I only ask this because i have never had a child who did this but yesterday while out at walmart finishing my shopping there was this little boy who was about 4 and he was screaming so loud you could hear him through out the store and the whole hour i was there that is all you could hear and even when I left and was walking out the door all you could hear was this little boy and it made me wonder why didn't the mother just take him outside for a few and calm him down.. (from what i saw the mother wasn't even trying to calm him down just letting him scream like someone was hurting him) I felt really bad for this mother because it must be hard trying to shop with a screaming kids like that....

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2_3blessings
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:28 AM

My girls have never done that and would NEVER do that so I don't know what I would do. However I think I would DRAG them to the bathroom and whip there butt but thats just me cause my girls don't act that way so if they did they would be in a whole lot of trouble.

RheaF
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:30 AM

LOL, Are you sure it wasn't my DS? I had to go to the store yesterday. DD is sick, and I had no one to watch DS. My Gma also gave DS a big bowl of Trix yogurt for breakfast. So lets just say he was not an easy child. (Red 40 makes him hyper and violent). I tried my best to get in and out, but come on...it is Walmart at Christmas time. He got to the point where the only thing I could do was ignore him and get my stuff and get out as fast as I could. There was no "take him out to calm down". He is also only 2. Though most people assume he is much older(he is a big boy,lol).  He wasn't hurt, just mad.

kanatamom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:32 AM

My kids would scream sometimes I would never leave the store bc that is what they wanted.  They hate to shop.

Gods_Girl1979
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:32 AM

i guess it would depend on my mood at the moment.if i was having a "good day" i might would place the child in the shopping cart(if they are small enough) ,for their own safety and continue shopping.if i am having an already emotionally bad day, i would simply get my children and leave.i have 2 children who are mildly autistic,so i have had to do this a few times.there have been a few times,cutting trip short wasn't an option,like last winter when it was already snowing and icing outside (and sticking), i knew i wouldnt have another ride to the store for at least a day or two (my husband work on the road as one who pushes snow,etc...) so even when everyone else could have gotten out, i couldnt because i dont drive and he wouldnt be home.so despite my then 13 month old screaming and my early 10 yr old having an emotional moment, i had to finished getting milk,bread,and i cant remember whose,but i had a prescription to fill that day as well.i feel for any mom dealing with this at any moment.regardless of why.i can remember once,yrs ago,when my 2nd daughter was newborn and my oldest was 2, both were crying,and i had post pardom depression already, i sat down on a bench in walmart because i was so exhausted already and now i had 2 screaming babies and no help to finish shopping and was just too worn out to walk out to the car at that moment.then an elderly gentlemen came up to me and jut out of the blue patted me and told me i was doing a great job with my babies and not to cry and gave me a hug,and let me tell you.that hug went a long way.i managed to pull myself back together and finish my shopping and go home.

lil_Army_Wife05
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:33 AM

When my 10 year old was about 4 he would throw himself down and kick and scream.....So we would leave! And yes, he would get his little ass spanked the moment we got home! He however did grow out of it. Now my 4 year doesn't and hasn't done that...she is more calm than he was.

lovinMYtwins07
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:34 AM

well my kids have done this but NOT for an hour! its usually brief and if i shopped to close to nap time...i can pretty much avoid this now but shopping not close to nap time. but yes if it were persistent i would leave the store. but i have no problems if they are misbehaving leaving my cart with our groceries or whatever inthe store and leaving. typically our little "outbursts" only last a few minutes. they get dollar bin rewards for good behaviour and as soon as i remind them they stop.

VeteranMomof2
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:35 AM

MY boys have NEVER done that (thank GOD)!  But if that were to happen to me, I would definiely take them outside...or even too the RR to knock some sense into them. WalMArt is the best place to find a screaming kid btw

mamivon2
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Mine used to do that.. I would look at them and say in a calm voice: Hey the people in aile 12 didnt hear you.. you need to get a bit louder:)

melissaoliver79
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:36 AM

my youngest gets sort of like panic attacks sometimes when theres a huge crowd and its noise  (due to PDD)  and starts screaming like that. the doctor says to be normal and go through my actions but try to get him to a aile with little to no people and stay there for a few mins to give his sensory part of his brian to calm down, but he told me do not leave store. if i did my son would never be able to train his sensory overload issue and when staying there were triaining it . it is working hes not doing as much and when i see his cues of flapping his arms or covering his ears i will move to a less crowded aile.

k_hall1784
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:36 AM
I'm not sure what I would do. I have a 7 year old and a 4 year old. My 7 year old has ADHD/ODD but (thank god) we never had an outburst at the store. As for my 4 year old, she doesn't do the screaming thing, but she will whine you to death though. Ughhhhhh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)