Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do not want this to be a religious debate but i have a question....*edit*

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:08 AM
  • 52 Replies

i know that religion can be a hot topic at times on CM. i dont usually ask questions about hot topics because i would rather not deal with the drama LOL. i would rather just read it instead but not be involved haha.

anyway, i was wondering if this would offend anyone. i have seen people from different religions or who dont believe at all be offended or annoyed with constantly being told "i will pray for you". if you dont know what someone's beliefs are, would it be offensive to say "i will be thinking of you"?

for those who dont like to be told "i will pray for you", would you be ok with "i will be thinking of you"? sorry, i was just thinking about that and didnt have anyone to ask. LOL  :)

edit-

i think i should have chosen a different word other than offensive. i appreciate everyone's input!

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngeLnChainZ
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:09 AM

While I don't get offended when someone tells me they'd pray for me, I'd much rather hear someone say " I will be thinking of you" or "I Will keep you in my thoughts"

artsygirl2010
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:10 AM
I have no problem with someone saying " I'll pray for you" just shows they care
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Wy would that be offensive? I don't think it's offensive to say you'll pray for them either. And I think anyone who does get offended by that is looking to be offended and needs to grow up.

cypris420
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Personally, as an atheist, I only am bothered by people saying "I will pray for you" when they KNOW I don't believe in that stuff.  It's like saying "Yeah, what you believe is wrong and so silly and my beliefs are better so I'm throwing that in your face" to me.  However, "I will be thinking of you" makes me think that the person is concerned about whatever is going on with me and they will be hoping for the best. 

cypris420
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Quoting christina0607:

Wy would that be offensive? I don't think it's offensive to say you'll pray for them either. And I think anyone who does get offended by that is looking to be offended and needs to grow up.

Just because you feel differently or don't understand a person's offense to something does not automatically mean that it's an immature reaction to something.  Get off your high horse.

sillytime
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I don't get offended if "I will pray for you" is said to me. I just don't say it to others. I always say "I will be thinking of you" or "You are in my thoughts" something along those lines.

AnnieMcD

As a pagan, I appreciate your question. People tell me they'll pray for me, and sometimes it's kindness and consideration, and sometimes it's blatant disrespectful smarminess.

I can't imagine anyone, of any faith, having issue with someone saying they'll be thinking of them, or "I'll keep you in my thoughts" even "I'll include you in my prayers" can be much less offensive than "I'll pray for you". I know they mean the same thing, but they have a different tone. 

But "I'll be thinking of you" is a lovely sentiment and I can't imagine how one would find it to be offensive. :o) 

AngeLnChainZ

I can guarantee most Christians would take offense if any other religion had their own way of saying they'd pray for you (Other than what the OP has mentioned) .. It has nothing to do with growing up, more like unless you know a person believes in prayer, maybe you should consider saying something more universal because face it. Not everyone believes in prayer. Whenever someone tells me they'll pray for me it means nothing. However when someone tells me they'll keep me in their thoughts, I know they mean well.

Quoting christina0607:

SThompson21
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:14 AM

i dont think its the phrase so much and the thought behind it. im sure it can get frustrating at times to hear it all the time when you dont believe that way.

i probably shouldnt have used the term offensive.

Quoting christina0607:

christina0607
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Quoting cypris420:

Quoting christina0607:

Just because you feel differently or don't understand a person's offense to something does not automatically mean that it's an immature reaction to something.  Get off your high horse.

If you get offended by someone elses actions that do not effect you in any way then yes I think you have issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)