Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Here's your one chance...

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:29 AM
  • 6 Replies
Fancy, don't let me down. Here's your one chance fancy don't let me down.

Ever hear this son by reba? Let me tell you, yesterday, the song has brought me some new associations that I never thought I'd have. I'm a waitress at Texas Roadhouse. I've served all my life and I've had complaints about everything or so I thought. My first table yesterday sits down and was eating her steak. This song plays on the jukebox. Now, this jukebox is controlled by satellite unless a customer picks a song from it at front to be played. We do not have any control over what plays and what doesn't. So, anyway, the song plays and I'm walking up the steps singing the song to myself when she turns from her table and says "why are you singing that song? That's about a 12 year old that was sent out by her mother to be a prostitute. I'm very offended. You know, you need to tell your manager to take that off right now!" Well as shocked as I was, I turned the situation over to my manager. He goes and talks to this woman and she is just giving him hell. He's apologizing and telling her that we have no control over what plays on the jukebox. So, after he leaves, I walk up to her to give her the check and make sure she's okay and she's crying her eyes out.

I feel really bad that this song gave this lady such an issue but of all the things to complain to a manager about. I really hope that there was an underlying issue that upset this poor lady so badly. Regardless, it was funny.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:31 AM

I find the meaning of the song to be that she turned her BAD life around and then went on to help girls like her. Wow I hope that lady is ok

Brianav
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:32 AM
I love that song.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msmoody
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Wow.

The songs about succeeding no matter what things may have happened in you past. That lady should stay home if she's offended by Fancy. There are far, far worse songs out there.

Plus-size-mommy
by StarBaby on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Quoting msmoody:

Wow.

The songs about succeeding no matter what things may have happened in you past. That lady should stay home if she's offended by Fancy. There are far, far worse songs out there.

mommapeanut
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:39 AM

We don't know the lady's history or anything...so funny, not so much.  maybe she (or someone she knows) was like Fancy and never really pulled out of it.  Maybe she had a daughter that ran away and went to live on the streets and it kills her everyday that her daughter isnt with her and she can't do anything about it and the song reminded her of it.....idk.  awkward - yes. funny - no.

sorry, have to play devils advocate on this one.

mommasbabies77
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:46 AM
Quoting mommapeanut:

We don't know the lady's history or anything...so funny, not so much.  maybe she (or someone she knows) was like Fancy and never really pulled out of it.  Maybe she had a daughter that ran away and went to live on the streets and it kills her everyday that her daughter isnt with her and she can't do anything about it and the song reminded her of it.....idk.  awkward - yes. funny - no.sorry, have to play devils advocate on this one.

Just so you know, I come from a very severely abusive past. I completely understand having things remind you of abuse and other things. I deal with it every single day of my life. But..to cuss at me, the manager and have a fit and expect me or the manager to fix something completely out of our control, yes it's hilarious. One thing I've learned in my many years of therapy is the world isn't going to change for your issues. It wasn't the fact that she was triggered/upset by the song. It was the fact that she expected us to fix it when clearly we have no control that was funny. And, anyone with any sense knows that. Sorry it was very funny. Call me what you will.

Eta; I mean anyone with any sense knows that we can't fix something out of our control. Just want to clarify.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)