Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can i complain to the school about this?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM
  • 27 Replies
my ss got sent home after less than an hour at school today he's 6 in the special needs class. Their message said he was throwing up but when i got to school he hadn't thrown up yet and he's been home almost an hour and doesn't even seem like he needs to throw up. I asked him if his belly hurt and he said no i asked if he felt sick he said he was fine. He's also constantly saying he needs to go to the dr and we think its his teacher drilling it into his head. He has down syndrom and has pretty bad asthma and allergies and a narrow airway so his breathing sounds horrible all the time. And she is always complaining but there really isn't much we can do. We give him meds she said he needs a breathing machine at night he had a test done and they said he has borderline sleep apniea and doesn't really need to breathing machine at night but she keeps insisting he needs it. I'm sick of her bitching about every little thing he's special needs some kids like that get sick easy he has a low immune system he gets sick very easy and stays sick longer than normal kids. It seems like she should know that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazymama0286
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:24 AM
sorry to ramble but can i complain about her sending him home today when he's not showing any sign of being sick? Shouldn't the nurse have checked him out first? The school has an awesome nurse and she's always there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ME_ME_ME

So... was he throwing up at school?

-Shelley-

I would definitely make an appointment with an administrator.

Sounds like his teacher just doesn't want to deal with him. Lying to send him home is unacceptable behavior on her part.

MommySteph06
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I think you should tell her what you just wrote (but more formal). Maybe write her a letter? She probably just doesn't understand the entire condition your son has. She might think he has downs and that's it and doesn't understand it's a lot more involved than that.

Honestly, it's none of her business, but just to make it easier on everyone, I would tell her (nicely).

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM
Who called you to come pick him up? If he wasn't sent to the nurses office and the teacher called you yes I'd call the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Atessa
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Since he is in a special needs class she should be educated about your sons condition, but every child is different and you need to tell her the specific things about your child. Also he could have throw up right  in the room, but not anymore...

I think many teachers are PARANOID about germs and spreading illness to others, especially in a special needs classroom where immmune systems are more fragile.

I'd just have a conference with her and "clear the air".

Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Well generally if the child throws up they have to go home, that was the policy when I worked in the schools, but it is also a judgement call of the teacher. When I worked we had a child who threw up one day and he went  home, so he would make himself throw up and get sent home half day, we finally nipped it in the bud by not sending him home the next couple of days and it then stopped.

I would set up a conference with the teacher and if you have someone who is in charge of special ed and the principal. Also get a Drs note explaining everything to have on file.Good luck Mama

Angelicembrace
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Ughh I'm going through the same thing with my son--he's not special needs though. They send him home for the most insane things. One time was *he has a temp off 99..it will surely go up, and his ear looks a little red* His temp never got higher--in fact it was normal whenn he got home, he didn't have an ear infection. My son also got sent home today for "throwing up", but he did it on the bus, and it was because he had a rough morning (tantrums) and worked himself up right before getting on the bus. He's perfectly fine right now. Yes, you can complain. Ask for a list of criteria for sending kids home--if it's on there, then there's not a whole lot you can do. However, if it isn't on there--then yes, you can definitely complain.

crazymama0286
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:36 AM
he didn't throw up though and he still hasn't thrown up. But when she called me to come get him she told me he did throw up which wasn't the case when i got there she lied.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:38 AM

This sounds completely messed up (well not the throwing up) but the temperature. I would ask for a written copy of what a child can be sent home for. When I worked in the schools it was throwing up, fever (over 100) and green snot (shows there may be a virus). Anything else the child stayed at school unless they complained about something else and many times they would stay in the nurses office until dismissal.

Quoting Angelicembrace:

Ughh I'm going through the same thing with my son--he's not special needs though. They send him home for the most insane things. One time was *he has a temp off 99..it will surely go up, and his ear looks a little red* His temp never got higher--in fact it was normal whenn he got home, he didn't have an ear infection. My son also got sent home today for "throwing up", but he did it on the bus, and it was because he had a rough morning (tantrums) and worked himself up right before getting on the bus. He's perfectly fine right now. Yes, you can complain. Ask for a list of criteria for sending kids home--if it's on there, then there's not a whole lot you can do. However, if it isn't on there--then yes, you can definitely complain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)