Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Control?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:24 AM
  • 11 Replies

Do you take birth control? 

What kind do you take?

How long have you been on it?

Have you experienced any strange side effects?

Just wondering :)

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephanie329
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I have a tubal.

Prior to tubal, I used BC pills for about 16 years. No side effects that I know of.

acaisha
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I just started nuvaring... so far no side effects other then my period was a bit longer then normal

LiesLiesLies
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:28 AM

The pill.

3 years.

No side effects.

worwalkerlds
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:31 AM

I was just wondering how many people actually take BC... Do you take it everyday at the same time to ensure its effectiveness?

JessicaRee
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Ive used

pills: no side effects because I couldn't remember to take them,

Depo(for six years): Side effects, major wieght loss, no periods, no kids, mood swings and no sex drive; time to concieve after last shot-6months, and currently I'm using

Mirena (for 3 years) : side effects low sex drive, wieght gain, no periods but occasional cramps. I tried to have it removed yesterday, but by cervix was too hard. I have to take a pill to soften my cervix before I go back next week.

dmez
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:33 AM
No bc. I was on depo. stopped because I had horrible side affects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
worwalkerlds
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Wow, that seems scary to me! I am on the lowest dose hormone birth control pill... I am afraid to take anything else. It just doesn't seem "natural" so to speak... Good luck next week!

Quoting JessicaRee:

Ive used

pills: no side effects because I couldn't remember to take them,

Depo(for six years): Side effects, major wieght loss, no periods, no kids, mood swings and no sex drive; time to concieve after last shot-6months, and currently I'm using

Mirena (for 3 years) : side effects low sex drive, wieght gain, no periods but occasional cramps. I tried to have it removed yesterday, but by cervix was too hard. I have to take a pill to soften my cervix before I go back next week.

emmiesmommy1113
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Do you take birth control? Yes

What kind do you take? Mirena

How long have you been on it? Almost 1 year

Have you experienced any strange side effects? Strange, no. Enough to make me want to get it out ASAP. My dr's appointment to get a referral to get it out is the 14th. Headaches, weight gain(30lbs), nervousness, acne, pain during intercourse, nearly no sex drive. Pretty sure that's it. Well, those are the reasons I'm getting it taken out. DH volunteered to get a vasectomy after the holidays.

celestegood
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I'm currently taking the minipill.  I've gained weight with it, but besides that, its great.  In the first couple of months, there was a little spotting from time to time-especially if I was late with a pill.  Ten months later, I don't spot ever and its been great. 

I have in the past taken lots of things.  I took depo and I would never suggest anyone to take that.  It causes permanent bone loss, and I had five years of infertility after taking it and stopping.  I took three shots, and five years later and no bc at all and trying the whole time, got pregnant.  And it caused a whole one year period, then no period for six months to a year after that.  It took four and a half years to get regular periods back.  It's the worst bc method ever.  I put on forty pounds while taking this.  BAD method of bc.

The regular pill was great.  You know when your periods are, etc.  The only thing is weight gain.  Although, if you exercise and eat well, it can downplay this side affect.

I used a diaphram, and it worked great.  I loved that it was hormone free, and may be using one in the future.  As long as you use lots of spermicide in it you are good to go. 

celestegood
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:40 AM

The minipill you do have to take at exactly the same time every day or its way less effective.  In overweight women, this pill is less effective.  I have health reasons I can't take the regular pill anymore, so I use the mini pill.  I have to use another method of bc (vaginal contraceptive film) to make sure I'm covered.  I think the doc said I was covered about 85% with the pills alone.  Not bad, not great.  A woman of normal weight would be covered better by them.

The regular pill (combination pill) you can take it two or three hours before or after your time.  Say, your time is three pm...you can take it anytime at about nooon to around six pm and you most likely are covered. 

Quoting worwalkerlds:

I was just wondering how many people actually take BC... Do you take it everyday at the same time to ensure its effectiveness?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)