Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should SAHP's get their sh*t done during the day?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:30 AM
  • 93 Replies

This is a stem off from another post I made about a friend of mine. But I want more imput on a side part of the issue.

Do you think Stay at Home Parents should get their errands and things done during the day so that when the working parent comes home they can enjoy the company of their spouse and children? Do you think this is especially true for babies who are "boob only" and can't be left alone with the dad because of that reason, therefore where ever mom goes baby goes?

EDIT: I'm talking about errands and things OUT SIDE THE HOME

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Yes, but if they don't then whatever....other's should just mind their own business in this situation!

imthatgirl728
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I as SAHM yes I do feel like I should get everything done during the day. Why wouldn't I want to have the time when everyone else is here to enjoy that family time?

anetrnlov
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Personally, I don't give two shits what other people do in their houses BUT I can tell you how it works in mine.

I am a SAHM who also does babysitting.  Hubby works full-time and goes to school full-time.

We are down to one car (which he takes to work) so getting my errands done during the day is pretty impossible.

As far as the house, I try to get as much done as I can.  I want it to be (at minimum) presentable.  Some days I get more than presentable done, some days I barely get presentable done depending on what is going on in the house.

I do not expect Eric to come in and pick up the slack and yes, I do generally (except cooking, dishes and sometimes laundry) stop doing my stuff when he gets home.  I expect him to come home, relax, spend time with the kids and I and do his homework.  If there is something I don't get done, I just tack it onto the next day.

Kodysmommy928
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:34 AM

My husband is a stay at home dad and he has a lot of things that he does throughout the day.  I would never set an expectation for him to have everything finished by the time I get home.  He isn't my child. 

TheatreMom97
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I stay home & I always make sure I get everything done before my husband gets home.  For me I just feel like with him providing all of the income I want him to come home to a nice, clean, organized house.  By the time my DH gets home the house is always clean, my son's homework is done and I'm just working on dinner.  I worked outside the house for most of our marriage so I know what it's like to be at work all day and come home to a messy house.  I have it easier than most though because we only have one child and he's 13.

Joeysmom6
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM
I'm a SAHM. I get all of the cleaning and cooking done before my Husband gets home and I do all of my errands that are within walking distance too (as long as it isn't to cold to take the baby out). I don't drive so things Like grocery shopping have to wait until Dh gets home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deminika
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM

It would be nice, but not always realistic. I have 4 kids 6 and under and I'm a student and a PTo member. Some days I don't get anything done before DH gets home. I hate it, but that's just how it is. 

lilyrose73

I do, most days.  DH doesn't get home until 6 or later and the kids are in bed at 8 so our family time during the week is very precious and limited.  But what works for one family, might not work for another.

ShadowRaven

I have no car on the days that SO works, which means that I have no choice but to run errands when he gets home or on his days off.

But no, it shouldn't be a requirement. Errands go much more quickly and easily if you're not having to lug around a kid, which means that you have more time with them. And for those that are boob only, you can plan solo errand runs around a feeding schedule.

LiesLiesLies
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I think people should get their shit done when they feel like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)