Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BABY SIGN LANGUAGE

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:32 AM
  • 28 Replies

I have a few Q? about this topic...

First, is there a difference between baby sign language and conventional sign language?  I mean, are the signs the same or is baby sign language different?  If it is different , wouldn't it be best if I just started to teach my DD the conventional sign language, rather than teaching her a sign language that she would not be able to use when she gets older?  Or maybe its harder to learn and teach the conventional sign language?

Also, does anyone know of any great learning resources out there on sign language or baby signing?   Maybe video, books ECT....

What are your thoughts?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaysmommy04
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM

BUMP!

jaysmommy04
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:38 AM

BUMP!

Rhiannon1980
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:38 AM

it is the same as american sign language. and I just look the things up on line there are lots of free cites out there for you to teach yourself. Just keep it basic when teaching her. things like I'm hungry or her name. things she will use now and you can teach the rest later

Tnamari
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:39 AM

its the same sign language adults use...we used a few words before our kids could talk, they don't remember now since we don't practice it any longer....I think they made a video called sign of the times or signing time...I didn't use them but heard a lot of great things, let me see if I can find a link..

Tnamari
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:40 AM

http://www.signingtime.com/

btw on my search for this link I noticed youtube has some things up

JessicaDawn623
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM

BUMP!

mrs.pyle
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM

its the same but it doesnt do "much". it can be helpful and it can backfire, its however your family adjusts to it.

crysjuls
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:43 AM
Its the same as american sign language. I start with mom, dad, eat, all done, bye, and I love you. You can look up videos of youtube. My baby is 6months old and I'm already signing to him. :0)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tnamari
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Quoting Rhiannon1980:

it is the same as american sign language. and I just look the things up on line there are lots of free cites out there for you to teach yourself. Just keep it basic when teaching her. things like I'm hungry or her name. things she will use now and you can teach the rest later

yeah we used one word. like "please" , "more", "down" etc. when we were in the truck waiting on daddy I would do the alphabet. One day my then 3 yr old crosses his fingers and says look mom "r" ...it had been a WHILE since I had signed! So they do remember, but at 5 he is a little rusty,lol.

jaysmommy04
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Great thanks!

Quoting Tnamari:

http://www.signingtime.com/

btw on my search for this link I noticed youtube has some things up

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)