Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a child that is a............

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:43 AM
  • 30 Replies

Thumb sucker?

My dd will be 3months tomorrow and has taken to sucking her thumb constantly. We have tried every pacifier since she was born and she never liked any of them. She is now sleeping through the night because of this and I have to wake her to feed her. My sister swears she won't starve and will let me know when she's hungry but she used to be eating every 3hrs almost on the dot and now goes sometimes over 4 hours. I'm nursing her but she takes a bottle when I'm at work and is not to good w/that either she has a hard time w/the nipple and sometimes tries to put her thumb in her mouth w/the bottle but eats none the less.

So my question is am I hurting her by letting her suck her thumb? She seems to self soothe very well w/it and rarley cries at all now usually just makes a few small cries here and there till she manages to put her thumb in her mouth. 

Also if you have a thumb sucker did you have alot of problems in the long run everyone is telling me I'm making a big mistake by letting her do this but I feel bad taking away something from her that she feels so comfortable with.

Thanks in advance for the advice

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamajeh
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I think you should let her be.  I sucked my thumb, and so did my oldest, it was soothing to him. She will eat when she's hungry.  Plus she is ADORABLE, with her thumb in her mouth!

:)

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:48 AM

i am anti thumb sucking because my young brother had a HARD time quitting it - had buck teeth as a result... you just have to realize -    at some time you have to stop her from doing it - as a baby - who cares!   but before she goes to school i would try to phase it out because of the germs you can intake with that hand mouth contact.  i swear the thumb suckers are sick way more than the kids who can keep their hands out of their mouths (i teach.)   but at her age - whatever is fine.

Elijahsmommy508
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:51 AM

How do you NOT let a 3 month old suck their thumb?  Leave her be.  She's fine.  She might have a habit to break when she's older, but most babies/kids to.  The first couple years are constant transition..from waking at night to sleeping all night, from crib to bed, from 3 naps to 2 to 1, etc.  It will just be another transition. :)  I would let her sleep through the night too, if she wants to and if she's gaining adequate weight/has enough wet and dirty diapers.

aaavasquez
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I totally agree about her looking adorable while sucking her thumb. Did you and your lo eventually just self ween? I have a cousin that is 28 and my sister says he still sucks his thumb when he's real nervous about something

Quoting mamajeh:

I think you should let her be.  I sucked my thumb, and so did my oldest, it was soothing to him. She will eat when she's hungry.  Plus she is ADORABLE, with her thumb in her mouth!

:)

k_hall1784
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:54 AM

This is my 6 month old when she was a few days old. We knew we gonna have a probem. lol. I think the thumb sucking is fine for now. As she gets older, it will mess with her teeth. I've got a cousin who is 24 and her teeth are rounded because of her thumb sucking. My SIL is 20 and also sucks her thumb. Hers isnt as bad as my cousins but its still the same problem. I used to suck my thumb when I was little but stopped on my own at about 7 or 8.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

alberns303
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM

DD will be 3 in March and she still sucks her thumb.

She was sucking her thumb in the US....we have snapshots of it. 5 minutes after she was born...that damn thumb was in her mouth, lol.....

We tried pacifiers.....she would spit them out and put her thumb in.

The good news is that she only does it now when she is upset or really really tired....it really is not a constant thing now. I have been reading up on it because I want her to quit all together.....everything I read says that MOST kids stop on their own around 3 and 4 years old.....and it is only after that that it can become a problem for their teeth.

Also...DD slept through the night at 2 months old.....your sister is perfectly right...she will wake up when she is hungry....the thumb is no substitute for food. The reason she is trying to suck her thumb when eating a bottle is probably because she is frustrated.

1boy1girlmama
by *Sarcasm Speaks* on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM

well I was always a thumb sucker. It's a very hard habit to break, I in my teens before I quit. My parents believed I would quit when I was ready, i wish they would have tried to break me of it when I was little! I don't think it's harmful as long as she is done with it by school age. It really messed up my teeth and I had braces for 4 years b/c of it. 

Overall not a bad thing, but something that needs to be nipped in the bud when she gets older.

PS. neither of my kids are thumb suckers, and I am so grateful. It's not like you get choose either way but still!

**Formerly Keegansmama05** Loving Mama to Keegz & Nikki**bouncing mom

sulkygirl79
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Yes i do. Even in her first ultra sound it looked like she was sucking her thumb. I sucked my thumb until i was age eight. So i let my daughter be. I out grew it on my own with out negative effect to my teeth or socially. My child did the same.

workinghorse
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:02 AM

My neice is 5 and sucks her thumb constantly.  She is in K this year, and still sucks it in school.  I think this is a big part of the reason she is constantly sick with one thing or another. 

I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to stop a 3 month old though!  She just looks so darn cute!

aaavasquez
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Oh my she is just adorable does she still suck her thumb?

Quoting k_hall1784:

This is my 6 month old when she was a few days old. We knew we gonna have a probem. lol. I think the thumb sucking is fine for now. As she gets older, it will mess with her teeth. I've got a cousin who is 24 and her teeth are rounded because of her thumb sucking. My SIL is 20 and also sucks her thumb. Hers isnt as bad as my cousins but its still the same problem. I used to suck my thumb when I was little but stopped on my own at about 7 or 8.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)