Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my car broke down and got towed away.

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM
  • 20 Replies

i was in the city when the axle broke on my car. i couldn't go anywhere.. i stopped it the best i could off the road and walked with my son up to my boyfriends grandmothers and had to wait for him to get home from work. Well by time he got there they towed my car away.. less than 4 hours later. They said it was in the intersection! I parked it along the road close to the sidewalk a while before the intersection. They said it could have rolled down there that a broken axle means its like its in neutral and will roll. Now they want me to pay $218 to get it back and i have to figure out how to move it, or they will let me sign over the title and still pay them $100 for the transfer. and it has to be done today. or they'll charge me $40 a day storage for 15 days.. take my car anyway and i would have to pay the $215 plus 15 days storage. Normally the $218 would be worth it but i just don't know if it is.. SO only paid $500 for the car total. Its just a '91 ford tempo.  Plus we would have to fix it on top of that.. i don't know what to do.. we don't have the extra money. What would you do?

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM

yikes. if you guys can get a car for you soon i would pay the 100 and sign the car over. but it does seem like a lot of money plus what it would cost to fix it. good luck that really is a tough position. 

clhelms
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM

A broken axle is a pretty big deal.  I would call around, find out how much it would cost to fix it and then factor that into the amount of money to get it back and go from there.  Its a 500.00 car so I doubt it will be worth it.   At that point I'd sign it over and start looking for another cheapy to get you through.

okhsmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Our city is like that.  One can't do as you did and leave an abandoned car for any reason lest it gets towed away.  I had car trouble once, the police came behind me to help with traffic flow, but I had to have it towed immediately. 

elle7777
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:01 AM

IDK depends on how much you think its going to fix and if you thinks its worth it to get the car out. I know when I was a teenager I had a damaged in a wreck and it got towed. I never claimed it and I never had to pay anything for it. These days I have AAA just in case so I have free towing.

noahscott
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM

well it was on a residential street.. people park there. it was right by a bar. but they said it rolled out into the intersection. thank god no one was parked in front of me then i'd have to pay for damages to their car. i didn't know that the axle being broke meant it wouldn't stay in park.

Quoting okhsmom:

Our city is like that.  One can't do as you did and leave an abandoned car for any reason lest it gets towed away.  I had car trouble once, the police came behind me to help with traffic flow, but I had to have it towed immediately. 

Pregnancy%20ticker

kenziewenzie
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM

We had a broken axle on our care when we were hit in October.  My car was only worth 600 but we paid to get it fixed because it was cheaper than buying another car.

If you can get the money somewhere, I would pay to get it fixed.  You will pay out of pocket more when you have to buy another car. 

When we had our accident, we only had an hour to get our car off the road or they were going to tow it.  It wasn't in the middle of the intersection but along the side.  If it was in the way of traffic I can see why they towed it. 

noahscott

no they told me if i do that, i still have to pay whatever and if i don't they'll take me to court and i'll have to pay the court cost also.

Quoting elle7777:

IDK depends on how much you think its going to fix and if you thinks its worth it to get the car out. I know when I was a teenager I had a damaged in a wreck and it got towed. I never claimed it and I never had to pay anything for it. These days I have AAA just in case so I have free towing.

coug7099

In what state do you have to pay the tow company $100 to keep the car? Where I live they just keep it if no one picks it up. Junk yards pay $250 for a junk car. What will they do if you don't pay and don't pick the car up?

IMO a 1991 Tempo is not worth fixing but if it is the only vehicle you have and cannot afford another then you might have to pay the tow bill, pay a garage to tow it to their shop and get it fixed. All the way around the situation stinks for you.

kenziewenzie
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Was your car parked on a hill? 

dsebastian23
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I would just let it go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)