Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A True Christmas Miracle!!!!! (my MIL)

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:32 AM
  • 18 Replies

If some remember my old posts, my MIL has dementia. Two months ago she was really bad off, not eating, drinking, talking, walking, using the bathroom on herself, all of it.

But now, after a month of being on a new med, she is back to feeding herself, talking coherantly, slowly getting it all back. I just got the call from the nursing home that she keeps getting up and down in her wheelchair, on her own, standing and trying to side step her foot peddles! They had to put a chair alarm on her to know when she is getting up!

You guys just don't know how happy this makes me! I really thought this might be our last Christmas with her, and that we would spend that at the nursing home,  and I dreamed of maybe her coming home for the day, but with this major improvement, she may get to do just that!!!!

Couldn't be a better gift for Christmas than this!!!!!!!!!

wanted to add: the aids are walking her around, trying to make her even stronger!

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaynesMommy07
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM
I'm sooo happy for you guys!! Merry Christmas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gavansmommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Quoting RaynesMommy07:

ajjs1972
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Thank you guys! I am so freaking happy, I could burst!

Quoting gavansmommy:

Quoting RaynesMommy07:

worwalkerlds
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Awesome! I hope she does get to come home, at least for the day :)

arabianwolf
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Good luck.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM

that is awesome news.  My mother has just recently started showing signs of very early dementia and they changed some meds and it did help.  But somedays she isn't herself..still.  It is hard!  HUGS

kittrick
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM

That's great news!

ajjs1972
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM

oh, my MIL got real bad! She was combative ( hence the reason for nursing home) She litteraly was just a blob of meat, sitting in her chair, waiting for death! If she talked, nothing made sense. they still took her to the toilet, but she never went, she would go in her depends. Now- she knows when she has to go or has went and tells them! The new med was to increase her appetite, she had lost ten lbs in a month! We got appetite back and more!

I should add tho, her dementia is from strokes she has had in the past. They didn't leave her physically impaired but did do damage to her brain.

Quoting Thelmama:

that is awesome news.  My mother has just recently started showing signs of very early dementia and they changed some meds and it did help.  But somedays she isn't herself..still.  It is hard!  HUGS

ajjs1972
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:47 AM

BUMP!

judybant
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:50 AM

That's awesome. Congratulations. I remember how uplifting it was when my Mom started getting back some of her faculties, after being so bad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)