Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do people do this?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM
  • 7 Replies

At work when people come through my line and use their debit card, a lot of people use their hand to cover up the pin number they are putting in. They do this when there is no one behind them so I can only assume they think I want to see their pin number.

Do they not realize I see hundreds of people a day? Do they really think in the whole 5 seconds they have their card out I can memorize not only their card number, but their pin as well? 

First of all I can't even SEE the card number from where I stand. Second, if I could, I wouldn't know what to do with it. Third, if I DID know what to do with it, and I somehow managed to remember not only your card number but your PIN, and I used your card, I am 100% positive the bank will give u back your money and I will not only face criminal charges, I will lose my job. Yeah..not worth it.

People are funny I guess.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mrs.pyle
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:07 PM

its the economy, people are paranoid. oh well.

TygerLily62
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:07 PM

They don't know you. There are some effed up people out there, most people would rather not take the chance.

Rocker.Mom.07
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I saw a thing on the news where people would take pictures with their camera phones of the card somehow and watch them put in their pins... it was a bit ago so I don't remember much. Paranoia is a bitch.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Yeah, but you would also have to know their debit card number right? Or am I missing something? lol I can know someone's pin all I want. Without their card number it's useless.

Quoting Rocker.Mom.07:

I saw a thing on the news where people would take pictures with their camera phones of the card somehow and watch them put in their pins... it was a bit ago so I don't remember much. Paranoia is a bitch.

CafeMom Tickers
Shaylyn318
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:14 PM
I always cover my left side so the people in line behind me can't see what I am putting in. My Dh thinks it is silly. It is just habit for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rocker.Mom.07
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM

lol Yea they take a picture of the card for the card # then watch them put in their pin and do this with out them noticing. But most places ask for the 3-4 numbers on the back of the card now when ordering online...so I dunno if people still get away with that.

Quoting carterscutie85:

Yeah, but you would also have to know their debit card number right? Or am I missing something? lol I can know someone's pin all I want. Without their card number it's useless.

Quoting Rocker.Mom.07:

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:59 PM
I do it out of habit, like when hitting your brakes and putting your arm out to cover your passenger even when you don't have one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)