Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would You Trade Up?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:34 PM
  • 30 Replies

DH keeps talking to me about trading up my wedding set for something bigger.  He said that for our 5 year anniversary (May 2011) he would like to upgrade my ring.  The set that I have now is average, not huge or tiny.  We are financially better off now than we were before.  Actually, my right hand ring (a blue diamond with diamond accents around it) is bigger than my wedding set-I just got the right hand ring last year.  None of this is really a big deal to me, I don't dislike my wedding set & I feel like it may be shallow of me to "trade up" my set for something else.  Plus, is it really still my wedding set if I did not have it when I got married?  I'm really up in the air about this.  What do you think?  Have you, or would you upgrade your wedding rings?

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oboe_chik
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I plan to upgrade my center stone sometime. Right now its 1/2 carat princess cut and I want around a 1- 1 1/2 carat eventually but its not something we are doing right now. That way I still have the ring I got when i got married I will just have the stone I wanted then but couldn't afford. 

Did you or are you working full time, juggling kids, a career and who knows what else? If so click on the picture to share your stories!

raegansmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I wish I could go that route, but the way my stone is set I don't think I can.  Maybe I will ask?

ddhb2007
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Can you just replace the "main" stone with a bigger one, and keep the rest of the set intact? I know several people who have done it.  I won't with mine, but we had it custom made.

JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM
Nope. My wedding ring is not expensive or impressive. Hubby bought it at mervyns. But I love it and what it symbolizes means more :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM
DH's friend told him not get me a big fancy ring because he could always trade up later. I said I would never give up my ring, what I am married in is it. My ring is 1 1/2 ct marquis with 1 small round on either side (mayby 10 pts each) and some baguettes. A few years ago I wanted to reset it into a white gold setting (same look, just white) and DH reminded me that that wouldn't be the ring I was married in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trist22
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM

My husband wanted to upgrade mine a while back and I said "nah.. think I'll keep this one a while". Since we never really had a big wedding he wants to get remarried eventually and he better have a "upgraded" ring for me on that day! lol

SP_Mama
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I might upgrade the stone in my engagment ring (and perhaps do emerald instead of diamond), but I wouldn't trade up.  We picked out our wedding set together and they mean a lot to me.

auntietotty
by Elizabeth on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Nope...Ive had the same set for 27 yrs now. I cant imagine having something different.

The only thing I might want would be a plain band.

My daughter will get my wedding set when I die.

raegansmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I don't think I can.  The way my ring is set, there are 10 diamonds around the band & 4 prongs that kind of swoop up to the bigger diamond.  If I tried to just put in a bigger diamond, It would not be in line with the band.  I'm not sure if it would work.  I may ask the jeweler.

Quoting ddhb2007:

Can you just replace the "main" stone with a bigger one, and keep the rest of the set intact? I know several people who have done it.  I won't with mine, but we had it custom made.

shoegirl01
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:01 PM

My first ring was an antique that had been in the family for 100 years (husband's family).  It was amazing... Big, lots of diamonds really amazing :)  BUT, because it was so old, I kept losing stones and because they where minor cut stones then we couldn't have me keep wearing it.  The only way to fix the ring was to have the entire thing redone by taking a mold of the ring and taking out all the stones.  Nope.

Instead I got a new one and only wear the other on special occassions :) 

This is my first ring, sorry about the dorky picture.  Its an antique and totally amazing :)

This is my new one that I can wear all the time...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)