Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this the last season for One Tree Hill?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM
  • 1 Replies

Maybe, maybe not!

So, will this 8th go-round be the series' last?

Schwahn weighs in ...

Do you see Season 8 as "One Tree Hill"'s swan song?

MS: It's such a great question because nobody's talking like that! I never say never with this show. You know, our back's been against the wall every year. And going into this [upcoming] season, at the Upfronts, [the network] announced [that it would be] the final season of "Smallville." They didn't do that with us.

So you're absolutely game to keep going indefinitely?
MS: Our order is [for] 13 [episodes], but what the fans don't know is, I think every year but one, our order has been 13 and "we'll see"... and every year, we get a full season. And I expect to get a full season again. Nobody's guaranteeing it, but if you look at the schedule, I think we'll have a good night with "Life Unexpected" and, you know, I expect to be successful again, as we have been in the past. And I hope around episode 9 or 10 or 11, they'll be calling to say, keep going. 

If we don't, like I said, we'll still be so fortunate to have been able to resolve the journey in some creative way that is satisfying to our fanbase. But the actors are under contract for one more [full] year. The other thing is, at the end of the season, if we go 23 episodes, we'll be at 175. So, that 200 number starts to loom and looks really nice and, you know, who knows, stranger things have happened.

But if they tell me it's the last season, that'll be wonderful and we'll tell you and we'll act accordingly. But no one's said that so far, so I'm just going to set my star for the middle of the season -- at 13 -- and then, you know, they'll tell me at some point whether we're going further and I'll obviously have a plan for that.

If they wanted "OTH" to run forever, would you be into it? Or do you see yourself, at some point, saying this is it.
MS: Well, you know, I get tired like anyone else and sometimes it's hard to generate the same adrenaline that you had. I mean, it's a long season. But I'm sort of reinvigorated with the show. Obviously, creatively, I want to do something else at some point, but right now, it's a good way of life, it's what I wished for and I'm paid really well to do it and I like the people that I work with. And, I will say, that with the refacing of the show [this past season], there was an additional energy that came from that and everything felt new again. For like the third time. So that makes me feel like, you know, I'm happy to do it this year and next year, if they want to do it again. 

But I don't want to overstay my welcome. Nobody does, and there's nothing worse than, like, seeing an athlete who was great and should've hung 'em up but just can't let go. We're getting into the twilight of this show for sure, but we keep refacing it and I like to say that when we [time] jumped ahead in Season 5, that really was Season 1 again, so we're actually only going into Season 4 of this 20-something version of the show...

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM

CW won’t hold court for critics until tomorrow, but I talked with CW president Dawn Ostroff  about her thoughts on locally filmed drama “One Tree Hill” and the chances of it continuing beyond eight seasons.

Ostroff echoed a refrain I’ve heard from her from years: Never say never, and don’t underestimate “OTH” showrunner Mark Schwahn.

Me: “Is this the final season for “One Tree Hill”?”

Ostroff: “I have to be honest. Mark Schwahn is amazing. He has pulled rabbits out of the hat over and over and over again. The viewers are still there and passionate for us. And it’s not just what they watch on air. They’re streaming it (online). They’re DVRing it… It becomes a matter of, will he be able to do enough this season to keep the viewers real excited about it. If he does, and if they are, we’re happy picking it up again… We’d be game if it is still working.”

So there you go. Do with that what you will.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)