Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social work... S/O... sorta? *School questions...

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM
  • 7 Replies

So i read another post about how a girl wanted to go into social work but just wasnt sure if she could work with children that are hurt every day...

Well, i decided that i DO want to go into social services. I havent been to school to do any classes yet, but can anyone tell me what I would start out with as pre-req's? (sp?)

I know im going to have to take a TON of psychology classes... but what else? Any math or science or anything of that sort?  

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LisaRoyNKaden
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:58 PM

BUMP!

mrs_gilhole
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM

you dont necesarily have to take alot of psych... if you are actually wanting to work for the cabinet fo children and families you will need a degree(usually at least a bachelors) in psych, social work, or something similar.  if you want to do therapy with kids, you can get similar degrees although alot of times those sort of places want master degrees.  i would decide on a college that was close by or that i wanted to go to adn call and talk to an admissions counselor about what classes to take to reach my goal degree.  there is ussually a couple of math, couple of science, english, history etc in the first 2 years thenmore spcialized in the last 2 years.  usually schools have 2 or three classes that fit each requirement and you can pick which ones oyu want.  hope that helps, good luck

okhsmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:06 PM

For social work, you'll be taking sociology, not psychology.  You'll likely need to plan for a master's degree too.

mrsjksimmons
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:08 PM

It all depends on your college. Contact your local college's admissions department and they will be able to send you some information. I am actually thinking about going into Human/Social Services or Sociology. I have an appointment with the degree program's advisor next week. I think that is what you should do as well.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:08 PM

What others said, but I had to take a certain many hours of an art or art history class too (which didn't make any sense to me, since I was going for EMT) *shrugs* IDK

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM
Actually they have separate classes that are for human services, which is what you want. That are like combo of psychology and sociology.

It also depends on exactly what you want to do. But you will need a masters degree too.

It's a lot of work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:11 PM

You will have to complete your general education requirements; Science, History, Math, English and electives. You will also have to pass your state exams to become licensed. If you plan to become a social worker you will not get far without a Masters or Ph.D.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)