Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you get child support

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM
  • 35 Replies

My boyfriend and I are still together but we live separately. Well I get medicaid for me and the baby. Well my worker told me I should try to get workforce but I was told if i did I would have to go after my boyfriend for child support. But if he is in our lives why would he have to pay since he already helps me with stuff

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pudge_Pie20
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM

BUMP!

.kk.

If he already helps you with stuff, then he's already paying child support.

Instead of filing for CS though the court, you can have him write a letter stating how much he gives you, beginning when, and how often. Then have him take it to a notary and that should be used in replace of a CS order.

MBAwife2010

I don't believe in court ordered child support. I wouldn't have had my daughter if I couldn't afford her without the help of another, including tax payers. I think it creates hard feelings and bitter custody battles. Just ask for help from him before going to court. 

proudmommy690
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM
You shouldn't have to since you are still together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AirForceWife85
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM

what is workforce?  and is there any reason you & your boyfriend are not living together?

kenziewenzie

The way I see it is you are not living together.  Your on public assistance.  There should be a court order for child support to protect your child in the long run.  What if he breaks up with you and decides that he can't support your child the way you are used to?  Or only wants to give you some here and there?  Plus just because someone is ordered to pay child support doesn't mean you will get it. 

snipcrank1
You can write something up together and have it notarized stating that he helps out and how much per week. Most states will recognize that as child support payment.
Myliesmomma
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM

i would get food stamps, medicaid and a monthly check. We don't live together because I still live at home

Quoting AirForceWife85:

what is workforce?  and is there any reason you & your boyfriend are not living together?

Myliesmomma
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Well I am not planning on being on anything forever but right now i need the help. When i am done with school i plan on working as a cna and won't need help

Quoting MBAwife2010:

I don't believe in court ordered child support. I wouldn't have had my daughter if I couldn't afford her without the help of another, including tax payers. I think it creates hard feelings and bitter custody battles. Just ask for help from him before going to court. 

blessed107
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:16 PM

From my understanding him helping you is all he is doing(in the eyes if the court). It has to be child support given to you through an agency before it is considered child support.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)