Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

:( My 6 year neice decided to not celebrate holidays!! *EDIT..she changed her mind*

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM
  • 39 Replies

I feel bad for my sister. She married a Jehovah's Witness who was disfellowshipped. And they had my beautiful niece. Well they are now divorced. My niece is 6 today. Well my sister's x is now back a Jehovah's Witness, and teaches my niece all of this. Which I think she is too young. But now my niece called my sister yesterday and said I don't want to celebrate holidays or my birthdays anymore. So don't tell me happy Birthday tomorrow. My sister has been down all day.

I am just pissed that her dad puts this crazy shit in her head.

*just to add. If my niece decided she wanted to do this because this is what she wanted then everyone would completely understand. But the problem is her dad put in her head that Jehovah doesn't agree and wouldn't love her. And she won't get in Paradise celebrating. This is why it is so hard. Because she actually loves the holidays. She is just afraid of what her daddy and Jehovah think.  When I said crazy shit that is what I meant..not the religion itself.

So my sister picked up my niece from school and respected her wishes and didn't mention her birthday. My niece told her I celebrated my birthday with my class. And my sister asked why. She said that is what she really wants. To celebrate. So my sister asked her why she told her she didn't want to in the first place. My niece said that her dad took her in her room and told her all of that stuff and then his wife came and told her she shouldn't celebrate with her mom. Are you kidding me? His wife especially has no damn room. But I'm glad my niece got what she really wanted.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stefvan
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM

There is nothing wrong with bringing up a child in your faith.  

momofnhimai
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM

she is not too young. 

kayandjsmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Quoting stefvan:

There is nothing wrong with bringing up a child in your faith.  

Well I disagree when they planned to let her learn and decide when she is older and actually can decide for herself.

sandie66
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM

While there is nothing wrong with bringing up a child in your faith, it is different when you are divorced. One parent cannot push their religion onto the child. The ex husband is wrong, very wrong in this situation. If both parents are different religions, then the children should be able to decide what they want when they are old enough.

kayandjsmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Quoting sandie66:

While there is nothing wrong with bringing up a child in your faith, it is different when you are divorced. One parent cannot push their religion onto the child. The ex husband is wrong, very wrong in this situation. If both parents are different religions, then the children should be able to decide what they want when they are old enough.

That is my point. I know my neice who loves celebrating the holidays. And when she is crying on the phone to her mom because she doesn't want Jehovah to be mad at her, then I know her dad pushed this on her and it is wrong.

christina0607
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Crazy shit? If this is the religion the girl wants to associate herself with her mother should support it.

By the way...it's a perfectly acceptable religion.

2ndfiddle
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:28 PM

So "celebrate" a different way! Take her out to lunch and have a day of rememberance, look at pictures, and talk about the good times they have had together. It is a confusing time for her, so make different kinds of memories!

FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I'm Catholic so I don't believe in everything a Jehovah's Witness does but I do not believe their child is too young for their faith.  My child was newborn when we started raising him in the Catholic faith. 

momofnhimai
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:29 PM

my personal feeling, it is good to have religion in your life. 

-xoxo-
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I wouldn't be upset about it if it's 100% her decision. Her father may have taught her what he believes, but if he didn't tell her that she HAD to believe that as well, then this is all on her. My ex is Mormon and I am Pentecostal. My oldest is 7 and she chooses where she wants to go each Sunday with no pressuring from either of us. If tomorrow she said that she only wants to be Mormon, I'd let her be. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)