Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of talking to my dr about the lap-band, support?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM
  • 58 Replies

Well as the title says, I am seriously considering brinign this up. I keep seeing comericals for it, that they say if you at least 50 pounds over weight, and I am 70 pounds over weight. On their website it says that your bmi must fall into the obese catagory...I am litterally .2 away from being in the obese catagory, according to the bmi calculator on the website.

I have been struggeling with my weight now for 5 years (since getting pregnant with my oldest who will be 5 in feb.) I had a personal trainer for a little over a year when we lived in GA (live in cal now) I didnt drop ONE POUND!!!! And yes I did modify my eating habits at that time. That was very depressing, and then got a surprise baby shortly after we moved to california. so that hasn't helped either.

Ive had my thyroid tested and its "normal." so whatever!

Do you think that that I could get everything done in 4 months if I talked to my dr like next week? We only have 4 months left at our current duty station.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM
I don't know about the time frame, but I have a friend that had it done and she's happy she did. She's lost 50 since she got it in september (I thnk it was sept.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anikahaynes1
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Quoting arkansasmama08:

I don't know about the time frame, but I have a friend that had it done and she's happy she did. She's lost 50 since she got it in september (I thnk it was sept.)

Thanks for your reply, and congrats to your friend! That is fantastic for her!

anikahaynes1
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:13 PM

BUMP!

Aydans_Mommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:15 PM
I'm looking at getting it done next year. It is a very long process before you get it done but it helps you prepare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Restless-Sinner
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:18 PM
I got the band in jan thru true results, it is great, I love mine, and can still eat the foods I love.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anikahaynes1
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Quoting Aydans_Mommy:

I'm looking at getting it done next year. It is a very long process before you get it done but it helps you prepare.

My mom got the lap-band too, and it did take her a long time to actually getting into the OR, but she also had an acute gallbladder, with no symptoms so they had to remove that before moving on in her process. If I start the process in california, can i just transfer it over to new york? We will have the same insurence, nothing will change with it, my husband is military.

anikahaynes1
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Quoting Restless-Sinner:

I got the band in jan thru true results, it is great, I love mine, and can still eat the foods I love.

Glad to hear you are happy! :) Good luck to you!

greeneyedgrl88
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM
My friend had it done, she's still fat after 3 years! It's no quick fix, you still have to eat right and workout.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southernjess3
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM

i didnt know you could just be 50 pounds overweight to get it?? atleast 200 pounds or more

harleymama30
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:25 PM

No you dont have time. Seriously, you dont. You have to go through a dr that Tricare will accept, go through testing, support groups, evaluations with a 'psychologist/psychiatrist'. Wait for the Dr get their paperwork completed, making sure everyone is on the same track. tricare will cover it as long as the dr recommends it. Afte you do have the lapband then you will have to find a NEW surgeon/bariatric Dr. to help fill your port, and that cost money to hve it inflated that insurance DOES not cover.

Might wanna look into it a litle more, go to support groups that a hospital may have or the surgeon.

to to

http://www.obesityhelp.com/

they can help you there with more research and make sure this is something you really want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)