Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Government Steals $190,040 from Brothers

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:28 PM
  • 9 Replies

Government Steals $190,040 from Brothers

December 9th, 2010

Via: Chicago Tribune:

The government is attempting to keep a little more than $190,000 it seized from two brothers after one of them was pulled over in a traffic stop that didn’t even result in a traffic ticket.

Jesus Martinez, 27, had $190,040 in his possession when his pickup truck was stopped by an Aurora police officer about 8:30 p.m. Oct. 18 near Indian Trail and Timberlake roads.

The police officer confiscated the cash, and the city has informed Martinez and his brother, Jose, 34, that Aurora will seek to keep it through civil forfeiture, a procedure that allows police agencies to seize property where the legal standard is lower than proof needed in a criminal forfeiture.

The brothers are home remodelers. Neither has been charged with a crime in this case, and neither has a criminal record, according to Kane County court records.

“I’ve never seen anything like this in 30 years of practice,” said Aurora attorney Patrick Kinnally, who is representing the brothers.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LisaRoyNKaden
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM

oh my goodness.... i would be PISSED... 

But on the other side of it... why the HELL would you be carrying that much around with you?

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Wow. I'm thinking there is more to this story that we don't know... like why they had that much cash in the first place. Just because they don't have records doesn't mean they aren't actually criminals, it just means they haven't been caught yet.

Nameismommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM
yeh good luck with that.
.kk.
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Quoting LisaRoyNKaden:

oh my goodness.... i would be PISSED... 

But on the other side of it... why the HELL would you be carrying that much around with you?

Independant home remodlers do sometimes carry around a huge amount of money.

But it sounds to me like a cover for a drug operation.

But anyway, what was their cause?

MONIQUEI.J
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:33 PM

This is so wrong. I did not know it was a crime to carry large sums of money on you. I hope they get back every dime of the money back.

proudmomma1986
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:34 PM
That's total bs. And maybe they don't trust banks and that's why they had it. I don't trust banks at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MONIQUEI.J
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:34 PM

BUMP!

RmeWifey01
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:37 PM
Can't wait to see how this plays out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MONIQUEI.J
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Let me guess people are gonna say it is drug money. why?  ( race)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)