Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question About Schizophrenia. No Bashing PLZ.

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM
  • 37 Replies

I know this is nothing to be proud of but I have had several appts. with my psychologist and he's wanting to label me schizophrenic and i'm literally freaking out because I don't feel it's right.. I can take care of myself and my kids im just a little messed up.. I blame alot of my mental issues on my past abusive relationship.

Now for the question

If you do get labeled as schizophrenic do they automatically see you unfit to care for your children?

Does CPS automatically get involved?

I have a 2 1/2 year old and 24 weeks pregnant and that would be the last thing I want.. My kids are my world and I would never harm them I just need a little help..

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
getoesuepastah
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:39 PM

do u hear voices? see things other people do not see? (auditory or visual hallucinations) do you have trouble thinking clearly? if you have NEVER experienced these things you are PROBABLY not schizophrenic

Irenesmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Even if you are clinically diagnosed schizophrenic that alone is no basis to remove your kids, you would have to be deemed a danger to yourself or others.

mrs.pyle
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:42 PM

if tyou get hospitalized for it, YES. if not, no i dont see why they would unless you act apon your fits.

jaxTheMom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Schizophrenia is an actual physical condition, from what I remember, and requires a lot of testing.  Don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

getoesuepastah
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM

also a psychiatrist not a psychologist is supposed to give you your initial diagnosis after taking a thorough history

mommasbabies77

They cannot take your kids if you are hospitalized for mental issues...trust me, I know.

Quoting mrs.pyle:

if tyou get hospitalized for it, YES. if not, no i dont see why they would unless you act apon your fits.

strongerthanB4

My daughter's father just had a kid and he and wife both have it. So I would say no.

getoesuepastah
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM

if your mental status ever causes your custody to be called into question AND you feel its unjustified contact SUPPORT COALITION INTERNATIONAL its an advocacy agency for those labeled mentally ill, they have a website

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM

What are your symptoms?

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I have a 2 1/2 year old and 24 weeks pregnant and that would be the last thing I want.. My kids are my world and I would never harm them I just need a little help..

How much does your husband help?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)