Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My uninsured unmarried cousin just got preggo--on purpose!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:12 PM
  • 35 Replies
My cousin is nuts! She has been with her bf for a couplenof years. I think she caught baby fever back when my daughter was born 3 yrs ago.
She has been trying to get preggo for sometime. Her bf is in the army and plans to get out soon. I believe the beginning of the year. She just recentlymlandedna job at petco. They are planning onovkng back here ( both of their families are here) in January.
She is a hair dresser, but needs to renew her license. She currently has no benefits with her current job and none thru the military, bc obviously they are not married. Now let me say I have nothing against babies out of wedlock! Stuff happens. But her bf has said he ' doesn't believe on
Marriage'.
To me that's a red flag bc I think when things get tough it will make it super easy for him to split.
So I am wrong in thinking that she is setting herself up for misery? I have tried telling her how expensive the dr. Appts are and how much the actual delivery will be. Not to mention. What it's like to have a newborn.
I will be there for her, but how can I sit there and bite my tongue? Wwyd? What should say to her?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamcafemom83
by Rah-Rah on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:12 PM
OMg so sorry for all the typos!! On mobile. Hope y'all understand most of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Nothing you can do. Just say "congrats".

ReagansMomy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:15 PM

It's not the best situation, but she's happy and already pregnant....I would keep my mouth shut.

kltinsley
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM
Good luck. Not much else can be said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HomeSweetHome77
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM

well first off you are implying that she wants what you have... when obviously you know her best bc you are her cousin but to even think that about your family is horrible enough.... ok that being said, i say tell her, you made your bed now lay in it.. and only do so if she asks for your advice. there is nothing you can do for her except wish her well.

as far as her boyfriend not believing in marriage, maybe once he sees the baby he will change his mind... its a long shot, but anything is possible.

and if they dont want to get married its not a big deal. if they are happy then so be it =) my uncle and his decrepit "wife" have been together 20 years and they never got married and had 3 kids together. they are married by "law" considering they have been domestic for over 8 years.. they say their motto is "dont try to fix something that isnt broken" i dont understand it but to each his own....

:) good luck 

emilysmom8
by Dawn on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I would just say congrats and nothing else... It's her life, her choices.

FranksHoney
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Quoting ReagansMomy:

It's not the best situation, but she's happy and already pregnant....I would keep my mouth shut.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

ajj_mami_grace
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:19 PM
Tell her to get on medical assistance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nsgirl2000

There's really nothing more you can do. If you've already talked to her and she does't want to hear it thats her choice. She may just have to find out the hard way. All you can do is be there for her and support her the best you can. If she is responsible enough to become pregnant then she needs to become responsible to take care of it. I'm sure thats not what you wanted to hear, but its really up to her if she wants help/advice. Sounds to me like you've done your job and tried to talk to her :)

ErikaM27

She's not a child! It's also none of your business what she does.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)