Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you actually know what your talking about? *EDIT*

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:36 PM
  • 246 Replies

Just putting this on here because I get tired of people that talk about things like that actually KNOW... Not saying anything about anyone on here ;) Just some knowledge for those who didnt know

Myth: Marijuana is Highly Addictive. Long term marijuana users experience physical dependence and withdrawal, and often need professional drug treatment to break their marijuana habits.

Fact: Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans - less than 1 percent - smoke marijuana on a daily basis. An even smaller minority develop a dependence on marijuana. Some people who smoke marijuana heavily and frequently stop without difficulty. Others seek help from drug treatment professionals. Marijuana does not cause physical dependence. If people experience withdrawal symptoms at all, they are remarkably mild.

Myth: Marijuana Is More Potent Today Than In The Past. Adults who used marijuana in the 1960s and 1970s fail to realize that when today's youth use marijuana they are using a much more dangerous drug.

Fact: When today's youth use marijuana, they are using the same drug used by youth in the 1960s and 1970s. A small number of low-THC samples seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration are used to calculate a dramatic increase in potency. However, these samples were not representative of the marijuana generally available to users during this era. Potency data from the early 1980s to the present are more reliable, and they show no increase in the average THC content of marijuana. Even if marijuana potency were to increase, it would not necessarily make the drug more dangerous. Marijuana that varies quite substantially in potency produces similar psychoactive effects.

Myth: Marijuana is More Damaging to the Lungs Than Tobacco. Marijuana smokers are at a high risk of developing lung cancer, bronchitis, and emphysema.

Fact: Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana.

Myth: Marijuana Has No Medicinal Value. Safer, more effective drugs are available. They include a synthetic version of THC, marijuana's primary active ingredient, which is marketed in the United States under the name Marinol.

Fact: Marijuana has been shown to be effective in reducing the nausea induced by cancer chemotherapy, stimulating appetite in AIDS patients, and reducing intraocular pressure in people with glaucoma. There is also appreciable evidence that marijuana reduces muscle spasticity in patients with neurological disorders. A synthetic capsule is available by prescription, but it is not as effective as smoked marijuana for many patients. Pure THC may also produce more unpleasant psychoactive side effects than smoked marijuana. Many people use marijuana as a medicine today, despite its illegality. In doing so, they risk arrest and imprisonment.

Myth: Marijuana is a Gateway Drug. Even if marijuana itself causes minimal harm, it is a dangerous substance because it leads to the use of "harder drugs" like heroin, LSD, and cocaine.

Fact: Marijuana does not cause people to use hard drugs. What the gateway theory presents as a causal explanation is a statistic association between common and uncommon drugs, an association that changes over time as different drugs increase and decrease in prevalence. Marijuana is the most popular illegal drug in the United States today. Therefore, people who have used less popular drugs such as heroin, cocaine, and LSD, are likely to have also used marijuana. Most marijuana users never use any other illegal drug. Indeed, for the large majority of people, marijuana is a terminus rather than a gateway drug.

Myth: Marijuana Causes an Amotivational Syndrome. Marijuana makes users passive, apathetic, and uninterested in the future. Students who use marijuana become underachievers and workers who use marijuana become unproductive.

Fact: For twenty-five years, researchers have searched for a marijuana-induced amotivational syndrome and have failed to find it. People who are intoxicated constantly, regardless of the drug, are unlikely to be productive members of society. There is nothing about marijuana specifically that causes people to lose their drive and ambition. In laboratory studies, subjects given high doses of marijuana for several days or even several weeks exhibit no decrease in work motivation or productivity. Among working adults, marijuana users tend to earn higher wages than non-users. College students who use marijuana have the same grades as nonusers. Among high school students, heavy use is associated with school failure, but school failure usually comes first.

Myth: Marijuana Kills Brain Cells. Used over time, marijuana permanently alters brain structure and function, causing memory loss, cognitive impairment, personality deterioration, and reduced productivity.

Fact: None of the medical tests currently used to detect brain damage in humans have found harm from marijuana, even from long term high-dose use. An early study reported brain damage in rhesus monkeys after six months exposure to high concentrations of marijuana smoke. In a recent, more carefully conducted study, researchers found no evidence of brain abnormality in monkeys that were forced to inhale the equivalent of four to five marijuana cigarettes every day for a year. The claim that marijuana kills brain cells is based on a speculative report dating back a quarter of a century that has never been supported by any scientific study.

Myth: Marijuana Impairs Memory and Cognition. Under the influence of marijuana, people are unable to think rationally and intelligently. Chronic marijuana use causes permanent mental impairment.

Fact: Marijuana produces immediate, temporary changes in thoughts, perceptions, and information processing. The cognitive process most clearly affected by marijuana is short-term memory. In laboratory studies, subjects under the influence of marijuana have no trouble remembering things they learned previously. However, they display diminished capacity to learn and recall new information. This diminishment only lasts for the duration of the intoxication. There is no convincing evidence that heavy long-term marijuana use permanently impairs memory or other cognitive functions.

Myth: Marijuana Use During Pregnancy Damages the Fetus. Prenatal marijuana exposure causes birth defects in babies, and, as they grow older, developmental problems. The health and well being of the next generation is threatened by marijuana use by pregnant women.

Fact: Studies of newborns, infants, and children show no consistent physical, developmental, or cognitive deficits related to prenatal marijuana exposure. Marijuana had no reliable impact on birth size, length of gestation, neurological development, or the occurrence of physical abnormalities. The administration of hundreds of tests to older children has revealed only minor differences between offspring of marijuana users and nonusers, and some are positive rather than negative. Two unconfirmed case-control studies identified prenatal marijuana exposure as one of many factors statistically associated with childhood cancer. Given other available evidence, it is highly unlikely that marijuana causes cancer in children.

Myth: Marijuana Related Hospital Emergencies Are Increasing, Particularly Among Youth. This is evidence that marijuana is much more harmful than most people previously believed.

Fact: Marijuana does not cause overdose deaths. The number of people in hospital emergency rooms who say they have used marijuana has increased. On this basis, the visit may be recorded as marijuana-related even if marijuana had nothing to do with the medical condition preceding the hospital visit. Many more teenagers use marijuana than use drugs such as heroin and cocaine. As a result, when teenagers visit hospital emergency rooms, they report marijuana much more frequently than they report heroin and cocaine. In the large majority of cases when marijuana is mentioned, other drugs are mentioned as well. In 1994, fewer than 2% of drug related emergency room visits involved the use of marijuana.

Seriously lol I posted this up last night because I was BORED!!! I knew you ladies would make it interesting :) THANK YOU for entertaining me and to the one who said I put this "Defensive" post up... HOW IS IT DEFENSIVE AT ALL???? lol I did it to stir all the ones against it up... you ladies did well
*applaude*
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2boys2yrs2mts
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:42 PM

BUMP!

Lanie_momofone
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I'm sorry , maybe its just me...but as a MOM...if you do smoke weed...then perhaps it would look better on your character if you actually kept that little tidbit to yourself.

I dont care what the "american" statistics say...any MOTHER that is openly and proudly saying "look at me...i do drugs"....isnt a very good mother in my eyes.

Sorry...but that MHO.

2boys2yrs2mts
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Would you still feel that way if it were LEGAL.... alcohol is a drug and so is tobacco.... but people OPENLY admit they drink as a MOM....

Quoting Lanie_momofone:

I'm sorry , maybe its just me...but as a MOM...if you do smoke weed...then perhaps it would look better on your character if you actually kept that little tidbit to yourself.

I dont care what the "american" statistics say...any MOTHER that is openly and proudly saying "look at me...i do drugs"....isnt a very good mother in my eyes.

Sorry...but that MHO.

i.heart.rachel
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Quoting Lanie_momofone:

Sorry...but that MHO.

Please respond to this post to encourage me on my weight loss journey! 

AngeLnChainZ
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Do you smoke cigarettes? Do you drink soda? What about alcohol?

They're all drugs.

Quoting Lanie_momofone:

Sorry...but that MHO.

2boys2yrs2mts
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM

99% of people find reasons why marijuana is bad.... BUT they dont realize that the only thing they actually find wrong with it is that its illegal... and most people dont realize alcohol is worse that marijuana... you cant* overdose on marijuana

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

Do you smoke cigarettes? Do you drink soda? What about alcohol?

They're all drugs.

Quoting Lanie_momofone:

Sorry...but that MHO.

Susanjdv861
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Quoting Lanie_momofone:

Sorry...but that MHO.

Zombiatarian
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Source?

Stop calling it the Zombie Apocalypse.  It's the ZOMBIE REVOLUTION!

Lanie_momofone
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Look...in my lifetime , i have seen so many mother's /father's neglect their children..because they have to spend that last 60 on a bag of weed , instead of feeding their children.

I am experiencing MY beliefs and thoughts on the subject about what i have actually SEEN...would i feel the same way if it was legal? NOPE...its legal for some people (if they have a perscription)...if i were sick, and i had a medical need for it ...would i be ok telling people that i do it or spreading it on a website, or even saying it infront of my child? HELL NO....so to answer your question...my mind would not change. Thanks :)

Quoting 2boys2yrs2mts:

Would you still feel that way if it were LEGAL.... alcohol is a drug and so is tobacco.... but people OPENLY admit they drink as a MOM....

Quoting Lanie_momofone:

Sorry...but that MHO.

JAJA_Steele
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Quoting Lanie_momofone:

Sorry...but that MHO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)