Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sick baby without immune shots

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

Long story short:  At first I was against immune shots. My husband insisted upon them for our newborn, we got them. She had a bad reaction (projectile vomit, constant crying, fever 101.9, all lasting 7 days) We did not take her back in for her 2nd round of shots. She is now 5 1/2 months old.

On monday she had a small cough. I was worried so I took her into the dr and she said she was fine that is was just a cold. Well she got worse! She started coughing so hard that she would vomit, she lost her voice, small fever. I took her back in and they said she now has bronchitis and an ear infection. Also her oxygen levels were low so they had to do a breathing treatment in the office. SHe is now on Augmentin (antibiotic) ans Albuterol (nebulizer). My heart is breaking for her so bad right now. I hope and pray she gets better real soon.

The dr is trying to pressure me into getting the shots that we missed as soon as she gets better. I feel horrible that she is so sick right now but I can't stop thinking about the reaction that she had to those shots. My husband keeps telling me that he will never forgive me if something bad happens to her from NOT getting her shots. But I keep thinking how am I going to live with myself if I DO get her shots and something goes terribly wrong.

All that matters at this very moment is that she gets better. It is so hard to see a little baby so young do breathing treatments. I am sorry ladies. I just had to get this off my cheast. I am super stressed right now.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2010 at 3:06 AM

I think you should discuss it with your baby's doctor.  In my opinion, some of the shots are really really important.  For instance, you do not want your baby getting Whooping Cough . . .

Hope your baby feels better!

JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 3:09 AM

I would ask in the choosing not to vaccinate group as well as in here and do your own research.  we don't vaccinate.  Vaccines almost killed 2 of my nephews.

Personally, I would NOT give a baby who had a bad reaction more shots.  You never know how bad the reaction will be the second time around.

But you have to decide what is right for you and your family!

My kids are "vaccinated" homeopathically :)

sallymoon
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 3:09 AM

If you do not want to continue vaccinating your daughter, especially after such adverse reactions, don't let the doctor pressure you into it.  YOU are the boss, the doctor is your employee.  Vaccines can always be given later if desired.  If you have not done so already, I recommend reading the Vaccine Book by Dr Sears.  It is full of excellent information on various vaccines and the diseases they can prevent.  There are some helpful groups on here that can help point you to more good info.  The more information we have, the better decisions we can make.  I hope your little one gets better soon!

Child Passenger Safety Technician

hippiemamaof2
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 3:16 AM
Vaccines do not give one immunity. They possibly prevent and possibly lower the severity of the few vaccine preventable diseases out there. Nothing your daughter has right now would have been prevented by vaccines.

If anything vaccines temporarily weaken an immune system. They cause an overload to the system making a person more susceptible to diseases.

The decision, either way, wont be easy but remember: you can always decide to vaccinate later but you can't take back a vaccine. Once it's injected, that's that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twisted_charlie
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 3:18 AM

My daughter had the same reaction after her first round of shots. I still got her shots after that, but spaced them out at my convenience. As of now, she is still behind, but has an appt next month for the rest of all the shots she was supposed to get at her year appt.

I can understand your stress....I was freaked after my daughter had her first round. I sat down with her doctor and discussed my concerns. He was also concerned, but was not as pushy as your doctor seems to be. My DD's doctor agreed to spacing them out....so that's what I did and will continue to do.

I should add that since that episode....she has had no further problems related to her shots.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 10, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Quoting hippiemamaof2:

Vaccines do not give one immunity. They possibly prevent and possibly lower the severity of the few vaccine preventable diseases out there. Nothing your daughter has right now would have been prevented by vaccines.

If anything vaccines temporarily weaken an immune system. They cause an overload to the system making a person more susceptible to diseases.

The decision, either way, wont be easy but remember: you can always decide to vaccinate later but you can't take back a vaccine. Once it's injected, that's that.

I agree with this and i vaccinate.  Vaccinations do not prevent ear infections, colds, bronchitis etc.  I am leery about skipping the Whooping cough (pertussis) one since a few places around the US have had outbreaks.  As I said, DD didnt have any bad reactions to the first ones so we continued on a delayed schedule for her.   Even a flu shot wont necessarily prevent someone getting the flu. 

CafeMom Tickers
JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 3:31 AM

Oh, and if you DO choose to vaccinate make sure she is 100% better before the doctor gives them to her.  You want her immune system to be ready for them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)