Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are there any honest car dealers any more??

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 3:41 PM
  • 11 Replies
My husband was laid off work 2 weeks ago. We are waiting on his unemployment card which sould be here tuesday. We called the car dealership and told them whats going on and we would call as soon as the card is here to make a payment. they said that was okay and they understood. (the payment is a week late) we woke up at 3am and saw our car on the back of a tow truck. My dh goes outside to find out whats going on and to get the car seats and other things out of the car. as soon as he opens the door the tow truck took off. This morning my dh went to the car place and they basicly said we lied to you so you wouldn't hide the car. we have kept in touch with them and even offered to write them a post dated check they could cash on wed. they acted like it was all okay, no need for us to worry. then they tell my husband we can't get the car back even if we pay the payment. and we can't get our stuff or the carseats out untill we pay a 500 dollar repo fee. Don't know what to do the car would be paid off in 2months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandksmommy
by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 3:43 PM

they have to do what they have to do to protect themselves. what are they supposed to do..believe everybody who says just wait i'll pay you.

qtdavis
by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 3:44 PM
Wow when ours was towed....long story I had to pay the balance due and then a couple hundred for the repo. Sorry hope someone can help you out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robinalbright
by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 3:48 PM
We have paid over 10000 for the car we only owe 600 dollars!!!! who would pay that much and almost has it paid off and then not pay the last 600. they are just crooks and want to resell the car and get another 10grand out of it

Quoting mandksmommy:

they have to do what they have to do to protect themselves. what are they supposed to do..believe everybody who says just wait i'll pay you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
courtneycra
by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM
you should go back and read the contract some more! Im sorry this happened!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowRaven
by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 3:52 PM

They repoed your car after only a week? Am I reading that correctly? Have you ever been late or missed a payment before?

MammaRed
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2010 at 3:52 PM

A couple of things.....

#1.) Car Dealerships -- sell the cars, they do not finance those cars.  That would be the bank through whom you have your auto loan.  (Unless you went through a buy-here-pay-here place, which yes they are usually pretty sketchy.)  So that would not be a dishonest car dealership, that would be the bank's fault.

#2.)  I have never known a bank to repo a car for being ONE week late.  Aside from the fact that they normally give you a ten day window for a grace period,  that seems a little sketchy to me.  They normally go through the extreme hassel of reposessing a vehicle once you hit the 90-180 day mark of no payments. 

Either your story is full of holes, or your bank really did that to you after one week, in which case, since you contacted them to work out payments and they still went ahead with the repo, maybe you can contact the BBB.  Hope it all works out for you.

robinalbright
by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM
Yes the payment was due on the 13th. We have never been more than a day or two late. 80 percent of the payments were before the due date.

Quoting ShadowRaven:

They repoed your car after only a week? Am I reading that correctly? Have you ever been late or missed a payment before?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crysrey1
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM
Sad it happened but they have a business to run. In this economy they can't wait or believe everyone. Hopefully you can figure something out!

Quoting mandksmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your problem but what did you expect them to say.  No we are coming to repo your car so you have a chance to hide it?  It is a business there are rules( in your contract) but they aren't there to feel for people or give them a hand.  you sign a contract people expect you to honor it period.  I am not saying your story isn't sad BUT so are thousands of peoples they are a business not a charity.

ShadowRaven
by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Find the paperwork for the loan and go through it with a fine tooth comb. See what it says about grace periods for late payments.

Quoting robinalbright:

Yes the payment was due on the 13th. We have never been more than a day or two late. 80 percent of the payments were before the due date.

Quoting ShadowRaven:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)