Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Children that break their toys!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM
  • 11 Replies

I need some creative ways to punish my 7 year old son for breaking his toys!!!

My 7 year old son does not take care of his stuff very well at all.. X-mas was only a few days ago and already has broken this big electric race set his Pepe bought him, ruined two play station games that we bought him and ruined a 3 monster trucks (came as a set) he broke the wheels off...

I just don't know how to get him to take better care of his stuff we take stuff away, we refuse to buy him stuff any more because of it and the worst part is he just doesn't seem to care when we have to throw the toys away because they are broken.. Yesterday when he broke the race car set we packed it up and took it away we all so took away all toys that he had not opened yet from X-mas (still in the packages) and put them in a trash bag and told him he was not getting them now and he just didn't seem to care!!!

by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Phenomemom
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Good luck...I wish I knew how to help. My three year old is a toy-breaker and it drives me crazy. I can't imagine how much it will annoy me if he is still doing it at seven!

other_mother
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:49 PM

My 4 year old would break his toys until I told him that broken toys did not stay in the house and we only bought them once.  A few times of throwing them away and not having them replaced right away really helped matters.

jcsg
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Give him nothing but a bed and dresser in his room.  No toys, no computer time, no video games, no tv.  Don't let him play with ANYTHING FOR A MONTH.   If he must have something to entertain himself with, give him a book.  After the month, slowing start giving him his toys back one at a time.  If he starts to break them, then you take him to a shelter and HE can donate ALL of his toys.  Also, he's old enough to have punishment chores when he breaks the rules.  Have him clean walls/kitchen cabinets. 

mommy259
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Thanks i need it :) Everyone always gets pissed because i refuse to buy him anything nice any more or expensive toys but what is the point if he is just going to break  it anyways!!

Quoting Phenomemom:

Good luck...I wish I knew how to help. My three year old is a toy-breaker and it drives me crazy. I can't imagine how much it will annoy me if he is still doing it at seven!

Fawn80
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Take it away.

My two oldest got a Christmas with NO toys and NO video games this year, and they survived Christmas just fine.  (This stemmed from a PSP AND a DS being broken, both within a week).  I have also informed them that if they do not respect their things, those things WILL be gone, and given to children who deserve them.

mommy259
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I already do that as soon as it gets broken I throw it away and i will not replace it and he just doesn't seem to care!!

Quoting other_mother:

My 4 year old would break his toys until I told him that broken toys did not stay in the house and we only bought them once.  A few times of throwing them away and not having them replaced right away really helped matters.

mommy259
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I have already taken the TV and video games.. He does get punished every time he breaks something.. This time I all so took away all toys that were still unopened and he just didn't seem to care!! I may just have do what you suggested though and remove all his toys from his room and let him see what it is like to not have anything!!!

Quoting jcsg:

Give him nothing but a bed and dresser in his room.  No toys, no computer time, no video games, no tv.  Don't let him play with ANYTHING FOR A MONTH.   If he must have something to entertain himself with, give him a book.  After the month, slowing start giving him his toys back one at a time.  If he starts to break them, then you take him to a shelter and HE can donate ALL of his toys.  Also, he's old enough to have punishment chores when he breaks the rules.  Have him clean walls/kitchen cabinets. 

other_mother
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:54 PM

We make him throw it away.  It seems to be more effective that way.  I have no idea.  It may not work long term.

Quoting mommy259:

I already do that as soon as it gets broken I throw it away and i will not replace it and he just doesn't seem to care!!

Quoting other_mother:

masonsmommy107
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 5:06 PM
don't use the toys as punishment that doesn't work use what you know will get his attenuation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mandiii04
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM

My son breaks a lot of things as well... but he would be upset if I threw it away and took away other toys... so I really have no advice.  Boys are usually more inquisitive as to how things work... so they want to see how far this will bend... and how much that can be pulled... usually ending with broken  toys.  Your son however, just sounds destructive. So I have no advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN