Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why are so many kids on medication?!?!?!?!?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:16 AM
  • 65 Replies

I thought this was hilarious!!!!

recent study showed that 25% of American children and teens are taking prescription medications of some sort. Why do parents fill their kids with drugs?? Here are the most common answers.

2010-12-30-kids_pills3.jpg

by on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alberns303
by on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:19 AM

BUMP!

bluesky51201
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:23 AM

LOL! 

Aydans_Mommy
by on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:23 AM

My sons is only on prevacid. He has really bad reflux. Any other meds I refuse to give him.

bupkie
by on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Mine has Aspergers, and is on Medication.   I wish he didn't have to take medication.   Sorry, I really don't find this funny.    I have two friends with Children that have serious issues and cannot get through the day without meds either.   They both wish their children didn't have to take meds either.    I wish I didn't have to take meds for my chronic pain.   

Having to give your child medication because it helps and there is no other choice,  really isn't funny.    Glad you think it is.   Life must be so much easier for you, and your children.   

alberns303
by on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I understand that there are numerous children that require and benefit greatly from medication. That being said....there are also many, many children who are medicated without need. 

Please lighten up and take this post as the joke it was meant to be. No one was making a personal jab at you, your son, or the conditions he suffers with.

Quoting bupkie:

Mine has Aspergers, and is on Medication.   I wish he didn't have to take medication.   Sorry, I really don't find this funny.    I have two friends with Children that have serious issues and cannot get through the day without meds either.   They both wish their children didn't have to take meds either.    I wish I didn't have to take meds for my chronic pain.   

Having to give your child medication because it helps and there is no other choice,  really isn't funny.    Glad you think it is.   Life must be so much easier for you, and your children.   

dirtroads
by on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I choose not to medicate for my "disorders" because I know there is a better way, a way to cope. Some times I want to get a script written because it would be easier but I can't live my life functioning on synthetic happiness, I wouldn't want them to do that either.

If on my children had an issue, I would do my best to help them learn coping skills and find homeopathic remedies before I meditated them. Medication, like for me would be a VERY last option.  I don't begrudge any parent who medicates, I just believe sometimes they put too much faith in Modern medicine and not enough in traditional practices.

bluesky51201
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I think it was meant for the people who over medicate or the parents who run to the pediatrician as soon as their child shows any hyper tendencies.  I also have a child with autism and he takes medication.  I didn't like it but it was best for him.  There's a big difference between giving your child medication to help him and parents giving meds because their child is just acting like a child. 

Quoting bupkie:

bupkie
by on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM

So you feel that there are many many Pediatricians and Doctors prescribing prescription medication for their Child patients without need?   And then blaming parents too....   this is a serious issue.   Sorry.   I just don't find anything funny about it.  

Quoting alberns303:

I understand that there are numerous children that require and benefit greatly from medication. That being said....there are also many, many children who are medicated without need. 

Please lighten up and take this post as the joke it was meant to be. No one was making a personal jab at you, your son, or the conditions he suffers with.

Quoting bupkie:

Bupkie.....

*** My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it. If it fits great! If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ***

http://www.cafemom.com/group/110548

Barronbaby
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM
no meds here!! Dr won't put them on meds unless she has to which I like!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alberns303
by on Dec. 30, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I don't think...I know that there are many, many pediatricians that will prescribe medication simply to make the parents happy. 

There are a lot of great pediatricians out there....but surely you do not put all of your trust in every medical professional. Your child has a diagnosed, serious condition, which he does need medication for. Again, I think you are taking this far too personally. We live in a world where many people's first instinct is to turn to medication when something seems even slightly off....you can not deny that.

Quoting bupkie:

So you feel that there are many many Pediatricians and Doctors prescribing prescription medication for their Child patients without need?   And then blaming parents too....   this is a serious issue.   Sorry.   I just don't find anything funny about it.  

Quoting alberns303:

Quoting bupkie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN