Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I absolutely HATE most of my husband's family

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM
  • 33 Replies

I am just irritated beyond belief.

We rent a modest 3 bedroom house.  We've been here since August (we used to live in a 2 bedroom townhome). 

Now that we live in this house, which has an averaged sized living room and huge backyard (which I love).  My husband's family think that this is the place where they can hold all their social gatherings!  Now I understand, that we have the "biggest" place.  They all live in apartments or live with other family and are just renting a room.  However, I don't understand how this means that my house has become freaking Chuck E. Cheese and you just assume you can hold all your birthday parties and social events here without a second thought!!

My husband's aunt had her birthday party here.  My husband's cousin decided to throw a baby shower AND a family reunion here.  AND NOW I find out that my husband's other aunt is spreading the word that she's going to have her 50th birthday HERE!  She doesn't even ASK first, she is just planning it already! 

My husband is a big pushover and doesn't know how to say no.  Even though I will say no, they will ask him.  He will feel trapped (because they will BULLY him) and say yes.  They will make him feel guilty, with the "oh we don't have a big house" oh "we don't have money to rent a place" blah blah blah.  I'M SORRY BUT THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS!  I feel like this isn't our house.  They just come here and take over.  And now they aren't even ASKING they are just inviting people to our house about a party we don't even know about!  I'm sick of it.

Oh and the part that pisses me off the most is that when we threw a birthday party for my 2 year old last week, HALF OF THEM DIDN'T EVEN COME!  So it's not like they care about us!  But when the aunties throw a party EVERYONE comes.  It just makes me so angry.  I can't even explain it.

So that's my vent.  Yes I'm mad.  Yes I'm bitter.  They know I hate them being here (I just stay in my room during the parties) but they don't even take that as a sign.  Oh and yes, I've told them to their faces MY HOUSE IS NOT FREAKING CHUCK E. CHEESE!  They still don't get the message.  UGH!

by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Let them plan the party and then lock the door and refuse to open it when they come.... It's mean but it gets the message across

momofnhimai
by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM

my in laws are ok; i just hate my MIL. she is a real bitch.

ashandmasysmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM

May be a little mean but next time the plan a party, dont be home that day. Yes it ruins their party but it will get your point across real quick.

4everJs
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Quoting momofnhimai:

my in laws are ok; i just hate my MIL. she is a real bitch.

Don't even get me started on my MIL.  She's just....OMG.  lol

CallMeKITTYD
by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM

i would tell them they can only use the backyard.. that the house is off limits and if they need apotty to rent a porto potty haha

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM

this

Quoting msjaxon:

Let them plan the party and then lock the door and refuse to open it when they come.... It's mean but it gets the message across

kristy0833
by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM
Tell them no. Tell hubby no. Don't let them in. If it were my hubby he'd have to chose.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4everJs
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

My husband's whole thing is he WANTS his family to be involved in our children's lives.  However, I really truly believe that they are just taking advantage of us!  He doesn't see that.  He thinks they just want to hang out.  HELLOOO they didn't even come to the one party we threw for our youngest's birthday.  THEY WOULDN'T EVEN ANSWER THEIR PHONES.  But he still doesn't get it.

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

put a note on the door to say every one is sick with the flu 

daughterofearth
by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 2:44 PM

well....i love hosting family get togethers. so.....but it should be discussed with you first

and saying you hate his family......thats just not nice. if i "hated" dh's family i know it would strain our relationship...just saying. hate is a very strong word

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN