Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Golden Corral Waitress?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2007 at 7:40 PM
  • 25 Replies

I am curious to find out how waitresses really fair on tips. If you are a waitress (especially if you waitress at a Golden Corral restaurant) I would love to know what an average day's tip total is, and what city you work in. All I hear from kids BM is how she got stift again...and cant help pay for anything. I have heard others say they can make a lot of money on tips (at the same restaurant) I would like to try and figure out if waitresses really do get stift all the time, or if she just doesnt want to pay up! We get about 1/3 of the child support that is owed because it comes straight out of her check. It isnt much cause waitresses reg. pay isn't much, but she pays absolutely nothing out of her tips cause "she is always getting stiffed and not making anyhing". Any replies are appreciated.

by on Oct. 27, 2007 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VSquiers0127
by on Oct. 27, 2007 at 7:45 PM
I'm not sure how much a waitress at Golden Corral averages, but I can say this... I absolutely love that place and they are always packed! So, there's no doubt in my mind that they don't make good tips. I'm sure she walks away with a nice little chunk of change after a day's shift there, especially if she works weekends.
mamamalik
by on Oct. 27, 2007 at 7:49 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm not a waitress but if her attitude and attentiveness is crap she's probably not makin anything.....HERE GOES (I'll probably get sh*t for this) if i sit for 20 mins and my cup is empty and i can't find you, you just effed up your tip, if you take another tables order and i was there first, you just effed up your tip, if your attitude is nasty, you just effed up your tip, that's just some of the things that we grade on when you (not YOU) wait for us i don't think it's unreasonable but unfortunately not everyone is cut out for this job (my opinion.)
LuluPepperpot
by on Oct. 27, 2007 at 7:53 PM
I don't know about Golden Corral. My mother raised me on her tips from waitressing. I don't think anyone could give you an average, seeing as a waitress's tips depend on many things... 
How hard is the waitress working? How polite is the waitress? Are the cooks going to work hard in order for the waitress to get it to the customer in time? What shift are you working? What days? Is the restaurant in a good part of town or not so good? If a waitress calls in sick & you have to cover her tables, in addition to your own, you will have to work harder, and the service you give might not be as good on that night... and so on.

~Kasha   =^J                                          
"Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement
        of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning."

~Gloria Steinem                                            

mom_can_i
by on Oct. 27, 2007 at 8:07 PM
I'm in FL and I've waitressed quite a few places (but not GC). On average I made 30-50 on lunch shifts and 100-200 at night. (Thurs-Sat are better $$) If you truly aren't making enough to feed your kids you need to find a new line of work. Another thing to keep in mind. Waitress pay is 2.13 (might have gone up a bit recently?) They get away with paying less than minimum wage because your tips are expected to make up the difference. If you are not claiming at least min wage worth of tips the company has to pay you the difference and they don't want to do that. They may have to do it one week but then you can bet you'll be fired. wwhen you consider that waitresses generally spend at least an hour of their shift on filling salt and pepper and "side work" like filling ice bins, you'd better be making $$ while you do have tables. Standard tip is 15% but I always averaged more like 18%. Yes, you get stiffed sometimes, regardless of how good you are, but it is not the norm. Do you know how many hours a week she works? Do the math. she has to be getting at least min wage.
Datina
by on Oct. 27, 2007 at 8:12 PM
I'm not a waitress... but I was at a restaurant called Tumbleweed for 4 years. Honestly, not my favorite job... but the money was SO good. It really depends on your personality though. You could have a wonderful personality and still not make good tips because there's a way you have to do things. Waitressing is like being an actress. You play the part that your customer wants. Tips weren't fantastic at first (but they were good), but after a year or so almost every customer I had was one of *my regulars*. I can remember working double shifts and walking out of that place with $400... and Christmas tips were GREAT. I remember this guy Igor giving me $200 bucks on Christmas Eve every year for ONE margaritta. I say try it. If its not right for you -- its not. If it is -- then wonderful!

PS -- I'm not saying you'll walk out of there with $400 each night. I'd say I averaged $80--$120
bull
by on Oct. 27, 2007 at 8:16 PM
I waitressed for about 6 years... Ive woked everywhere from little ma' and pa' diners to Gloden Corral...
The place were I made the most money was Golden Corral.. I usually walked out of there with at least $100.00 a night... but it also depends on what section you may get... if you get a slow section.. it makes the night REALLY long...
Its hard to make a living if your waitressing in these kind of places... if you waitress in a higher class establishment and only have like.. maybe two or three parties a night... thats were you bank..!!
bamaman
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM
I work in Birmingham Al and make around 100.00 per 6 hour shift. Military appreciation you will not make anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sucker4myloves
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I've never worked at Golden Corral but I don't imagine the tips are very good there, as it's mostly self serve. Do you tip well at self serve? Most don't. There's no reason to. However, she should be made to report how much tips she recieved every day, unless they're very backwater, and unless she's also lying to managment about her tips, it should be recorded and you might be able to get a court order for that.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

SoKamele
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

You can make really good tips at a quality resturant..........

You can make decent tips at a family resturant............

If the Golden Corral is the buffet style........I'd say her tips aren't that great......no matter how packed it is.

If she as to deliver the food.......better tips......it also depends on the time of day she is waitressing and the days.

Daytime.......average............Night time........great.......Weekdays........slow.....Weekends......busy.

Too many variables...really.

mama2beautiesnb
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:14 AM
i waitressed at chilis. the good servers got great tips, the ones not quite cut out for it like me got crap tips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN