Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Difference between a boy's size 5T and 5? (pants & jeans)

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 1:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son is outgrowing his 4T pants and jeans. They are from Old Navy and The Children's Place. He has long legs and a skinny waist. The 4T's are getting too short and too tight around the waist. Usually when I get him bigger size pants, they practically SWIM on him. So I was wondering what is the difference between 5T's and 5's? I want him to be able to wear these pants now, not in a year, KWIM? He will be 5 in June. So I would like to know exactly how big the difference is. TY in advance!

~ Nicole ~
Mom to Brandon, 6-25-06
Proud Navy Wife to Mike

by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I have never noticed much diffrece. 5's might be a little longer. It really depends on the brand.

nmjordan
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 2:07 PM

bump

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM

the toddler sizes are a bit shorter and wider sometimes if you really look you can find a 5 slim thats what I get for my girls

Kallie2508
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM
My mom told me when its a t size like 5t it has extra room in the butt for diaper lol I don't know if that is true
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM

yeah a 5 is just slightly bigger (mostly longer)  than a 5t.   i am in the same position - skinny tall boy - i love the oshkosh slim pants for him - they even make sweats in slim. 

Elayna90
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Toddler sizes are usually a bit wider. They are made roomier to fit kids still in diapers and pullups.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM

true. Learned it working retail. And a slight price difference also. It can be the same exact thing, but the price will be different depending on whether its a 24m or 2t.

Quoting Kallie2508:

My mom told me when its a t size like 5t it has extra room in the butt for diaper lol I don't know if that is true

HadleyAzure
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM

My 5 year old is skinny but has long legs I have got him some jeans from old navy that had the button in the inside of the waist band where you can tighten them up a little bit to fit the waist and you can't tell from the outside.

nmjordan
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Thanks everyone!

snowpeasmom
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 2:55 PM

With Children's Place I know the 5T has an adjustable waist but the 5 doesn't. My son is tall and thin and in 5Ts but I have to really adjust the waist

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)