Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What food should we buy before this ice storm hits???

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 7:58 PM
  • 64 Replies

Sorry if this has already been posted a million times today...I'm sick as hell and this is the first time I've been on all day.

But people in my area are going crazy trying to "prepare" for this ice storm that's supposed to start slamming us tomorrow night. (I live in Ohio, Western side, pretty much in the middle of North and South)

According to the weather channel and Accuweather, we're supposed to get about an inch of ice, followed by 11-18 in of snow. Wonderful, right? So we're trying to prepare too, just in case it DOES happen...so what kind of food should we buy? I know "non-parishables", but more specific?

We have been through this before a few years back. It knocked out all the power lines for 3 days. They're calling this one to be worse. But my son and I were rescued by my mom and we drove for an hour and stayed in the first hotel we came to that had power. We're going to stick it out this time.

We have batteries, blankets, warm clothes, candles, water, and some food rounded up (like crackers...and canned raviolis and stuff like that cause we have our little propane stove top that we'll be able to cook on). What else for food?

by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ForeverMeme
by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Roman Noodles. Lots.

blessed107
by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Milk,bread,cereal a few snacks if that's what you like.

happymom1988
by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM
Food that u and ur family like lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymom1988
Food that u and ur family like lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed107

Oops sorry,I missed the part about power being out...scratch the milk.

jcsg

I'm going to the store tomorrow and getting some fruit, crackers, lunch meat, cereal..basically things that are quick and easy to make.  And don't require electricity to make.  I'm also getting some charcoal for the grill.  Mainly because I will need someway to heat water for coffee and cleaning up. 

Good luck, we may get up to 16" of snow and ice.  I'm in northwest Ohio. 

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Bottled water (pleanty of it)non perishables, like: peanut butter, cereal, ramen noodles, lots of bread, little bottles of juice or juice boxes.

Propane space heater if you have it, lots of blankets, slippers, clothes to layer.

mommommamommyyy
by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 8:04 PM

You could still buy fresh fruits and veggies.  They last longer than you'd think.  Especially if it's cold.  Do you have a room you could close off to act as a "refrigerator"?  It may seem silly, but the back room in our place isn't much warmer than the outdoors.

A few cases of water (or gallons), loaves of bread, peanut butter and jelly, rice cakes, trail mixes, pepperoni/beef jerky...

ForeverMeme

Do your water pipes freeze up? I would get a LOT of bottled water.

MeganGallagher

all of your staples my love!! milk eggs cheese...

electricity might go out...  so make sure to have snacks on hand as well. lots of ice cream! =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)