Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

While your in walmart...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:29 AM
  • 39 Replies

and you have your kids, do you make them sit in the cart and not say a word, or do you talk and make the shopping trip fun? I'm asking because today when I was grocery shopping with my 4 year old (who was sitting in the basket part) and my almost 2 year old (he was sitting in the actual seat part) we were pretending we were cars and going "vrrrrrooooommm" and stuff like that as we would round the corners of the aisles. I didnt see a big deal, they werent being loud, they werent screaming and throwing a fit. They were having fun and actually being good in the store for a change. Lol. Anyhow, we went down one aisle and as we rounded the corner I got THE dirtiest, go to hell look from this old couple. I didnt say anything, but I couldnt figure out what we did wrong. Everybody else we walked passed would smile and laugh. One lady even stopped and talked to the boys and commented on how good they were being. So, I just dont get it. Do you play games with your kids in the store to make it fun, or make them be super quiet the whole time?

Mommy to "E", "TenTen" , & Sully!

"Life isnt about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Frosting
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM

I think a lot of older people just forget what it was like to have kids.  Or they raised theirs in a day when kids were supposed to be "seen and not heard" and they can't relate to the more family friendly way we raise kids now.  Don't let two kermudgens get you down.  It sounds like your kids did great in the store.

HelloKitty86
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:32 AM
We play :) i have 3 kids and they all help since im pregnant. We laugh and talk :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LAmomma07
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:33 AM
depends.. If we have to be in there for a long time. Heck yes! My dd sits in the basket though or the seat as im like terrified of someone stealing her.. But if i just need to pick up something real quick normally its hold my hand while mommy rushes sometimes its easier to put her in the basket even then. I dont see why the older couple would have looked at you that way. Seems to me you were being a good mom and trying to do what you needed done and make sure your children behaved
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyraEllen
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:33 AM
My son and I chat the whole time and he helps me shop. He is 3. Sounds like that couple you encountered needs the stick removed from their anuses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poppys_mommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Really?!  Naw, your kids were just fine.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM
We play and try to make it educational (like "How many pink mittens are there?")...I don't expect them to just sit there and I wouldn't want it that way! They're my shopping buddies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LAmomma07
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM
oh and sometimes we borrow a book or toy while we are there and put it back before we leave...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chrissy0918
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM

It's just sooooo much easier with them if we make it fun, otherwise they are both wanting out of the cart, or they get bored and start whining, complaining, etc... lol. :)

QuantumLove
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Oh we have a blast! LOL We are alot naughtier than you lol. We don't bother anyone we just laugh a lot and play sooo much. I have gotten a few weird looks mostly from older people actually maybe they are just cranky from all their pills....or your setting their hearing aids off or something lol. Some old people are wonderful and so nice though so yea IDK. Sorry though. I wouldn't worry about it. I would have given them a fake glare back and then laughed lol.

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:35 AM

When my kids were small enough to sit in the buggy, yes, they were fairly well behaved. Sometimes I would stop on the pillow isle and put a pillow down in one buggy and let them nap while I shopped and dh pushed their buggy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)