Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this legal?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:21 AM
  • 32 Replies

This is related to the other post about discipline. How many of you use vinegar or soap in your kids mouths as a punishment? Would CPS see this as a valid and nonabusive punishment? I personally think it is terrible. jmo

*Edit* I looked it up and in most states it is illegal to wash your childs mouth out with soap and a woman in florida was arrested for it

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jersey_86
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:23 AM
i didn't see the other post but i totally agree with you. that is just wrong to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:25 AM

I have heard cases where soap was abusive and children got taken away.  Vinegar has its benefits inside of the body so i dont know where it would stand.  From wha ti understand vinegar use is only a drop or 2 not like 3 cups .

HaydensMommy007
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Well vinegar is used as a cooking ingredient so its not dangerous. Soap is probably isnt a good idea.

Vinegar is not damaging. Sure it doesnt taste good, but then again, punishment isnt supposed to be fun.

This is not a method I would choose

alotta_fagina
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:27 AM
I have threatened to wash my sons mouth out with soap and that ALWAYS makes him stop talking back. I have never done this before, but if he kept talking back after many warnings and other discipline techniques, then I would (with a bar of soap and not over board. I wouldn't like doing it, but shit...my dad did it to me ONE TIME and I Never ever talked back at him again.

NO WAY is my kid going to get away with disrespecting adults. way too many kids these days do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jsmommy0528
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

I have heard cases where soap was abusive and children got taken away.  Vinegar has its benefits inside of the body so i dont know where it would stand.  From wha ti understand vinegar use is only a drop or 2 not like 3 cups .

If they are younger wouldn't it be painful for them because they aren't accustomed to harsh things like vinegar? I have really strong feelings toward things like this because my stepdad made me eat a pepper when I was five because he thought I was lying and it left a small blister in the corner of my lip. It was soo hot.

CMcLaws
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:29 AM

I would never use soap, but vinegar is a food and not harmful. That being said, I wouldn't use it as a punishment.  

Tori_S
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:30 AM
They have safe soap just for this purpose.
And the vinegar, I use it to cook so it can't be that bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenzie_Maher
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:31 AM
I personally haven't done it and haven't really needed such a severe punishment with my daughter, who's 5. But if I was going to, definitely vinegar over soap. I think soap is considered abuse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HaydensMommy007
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:31 AM

how does one become accustomed to something...?

through exposure.

Vinegar is not going to harm the kid. And maybe next time they will think twice about being disobedient.

Quoting Jsmommy0528:

Quoting frndlyfn:

If they are younger wouldn't it be painful for them because they aren't accustomed to harsh things like vinegar? I have really strong feelings toward things like this because my stepdad made me eat a pepper when I was five because he thought I was lying and it left a small blister in the corner of my lip. It was soo hot.

CMcLaws
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Vinegar wouldn't leave a blister with a drop or two or even a tablespoon. I don't think CPS could do anything over that.  

Quoting Jsmommy0528:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)