Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you choose your child's godparents?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:43 AM
  • 22 Replies
Did you choose family, friends? Married couples or singles?

Me and hubby were awake last night discussing the topic and I feel more comfortable with one of my best friends ( who I have known for 15 years) being godmother. She has a great job, house is paid off, and very stable. The only thing is hubby hates that she isn't married and has no family ties to us. She has no interest in being married and what does that have to do with anything? She is still a great person and would be a great parent if something were to happen.
He wants to choose his brother and his wife who, may be stable and have good jobs, but go out on the town every weekend, party at the latest clubs, and aren't ppl I see changing lifestyle if they had to take care of a child. To have a child, you have to put them first which is something i dont think they can do. Idk how I feel about that. We still have awhile to decide. Who would have thought it would be this hard?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dsptchmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:45 AM
Mine was easy...my parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenzie_Maher
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:45 AM
We are having a very similar issue.
And people with multiple children, is it typical to choose the same godparents or different ones?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
britewhitelite
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:47 AM

We don't have godparents, but I get where you are coming from.  Right now my DH and I don't have any good options for people to leave our children to should something happen to us.  It is pretty scary.

ZelisMommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:48 AM

For DD#1 I choose one of my closests friends and her husband. My "best" friend is Christian so I guess you can say she's my second best friend, ha ha (sounds so high school)

For DD#2 we've narrowed it down to 3 couples. One of my good friends and his soon to be wife (his sister is actually my daughter's sitter and the oldest refers to her as NANA), DH's cousin  & his wife (because for some reason people always think it should be family, LOL) and my aunt & uncle (because they actually asked to be God parents) Yeah, its tough because you want someone that can spiritually guide your child & answer questions you may not be able to, LOL. I do prefer a married couple but it doesnt have to be. After all, like it or not, people do divorce. If we were to die though (Heaven forbid) that doesnt automatically mean our kids have to go to their God parents (Even though they offered when we were doing our will).

Melissa_anne
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:48 AM

I chose my nieces and nephew.  for me the difinition of a god parent is the godparents were counted informally responsible for ensuring that the child's religious education was carried out.  If we die my daughter goes to a completely different person. 

britewhitelite
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Quoting dsptchmommy:

If you don't mind me asking, how old are your parents and your children?

We considered one of my uncles/aunts but they are in their 60s and we weren't sure if that would work.

kara.haughton
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:50 AM
Oh gosh! I didn't even think that when we have more children, we have to do this process again. My head hurts just thinking about it lol. But I wouldn't wanna dump all kids on one person or couple... That's a big change

Quoting Kenzie_Maher:

And people with multiple children, is it typical to choose the same godparents or different ones?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jsmommy0528
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:51 AM

My hubby and I wanted to choose someone that was stable, around our family, good job, and would give our son a happy life, that was also wise enough to help him grow into a great man. For us that person was my FIL. He has a great job and is off everyday at 230 so he could be there when ds gets out of school, he always knows exactly what to do in every situation he has come across, he is very family oriented and like to be active. My parents health wasn't very good and my MIL works way too much. Oh my FIL is remarried to a awesome woman who is a teacher. We put alot alot alot of thought into it and hopefully we made the right decision.

britewhitelite
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:52 AM

But then are you going to split your children up from each other after they've lost their parents?  Isn't this a horrible thing to think about?  Argh!

Quoting kara.haughton:

Oh gosh! I didn't even think that when we have more children, we have to do this process again. My head hurts just thinking about it lol. But I wouldn't wanna dump all kids on one person or couple... That's a big change

Quoting Kenzie_Maher:

kara.haughton
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:53 AM
Well we eliminated both our parents because they are retired and already raised their kids. I'm sure they don't wanna start again lol. They will have their plate full with grandparent duties

Quoting britewhitelite:

Quoting dsptchmommy:

If you don't mind me asking, how old are your parents and your children?

We considered one of my uncles/aunts but they are in their 60s and we weren't sure if that would work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)