Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone else do this?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:54 AM
  • 5 Replies

My friend's husband works overseas.  She said she gets to file Head of Household on her taxes and get EIC, because they didn't live together.  I don't know how he files, they each claimed one kid.  Doesn't make much sense to me.  Ever heard of this?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jsmommy0528
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:56 AM

I haven't done this. I always filed the taxes for us both as joint while my hubby was deployed, I had power of attorney though.

Mrs.AmandaD.
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM

BUMP!

Mrs.AmandaD.
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM

BUMP!

AngelMama6203
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I'm not sure why she thinks that's a better deal? The standard deduction alone for HOH is somewhere around $3K LESS than filing jointly. And filling head of household alone does not qualify you for EIC, that's based on earned income alone. Yeah, she probably gets EIC because she's not claiming hubby's income and hers obciously falls in the EIC range. Only married filing separately can disqualify you for EIC.

The way she filed, she's basically telling the IRS "my husband abandoned me." Because that's one of the few reasons someone legally married can file as HOH.

Obviously I don't know the entire situation, but that's my take on what info you've given. What she did is just silly.

Mrs.AmandaD.
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Well she's getting a refund based on her income, getting EIC.  Her husband makes a lot of money, I'm sure he's probably not getting a refund.  So that would be the reason.  I just don't see how she's allowed to do it, I guess.

Quoting AngelMama6203:

I'm not sure why she thinks that's a better deal? The standard deduction alone for HOH is somewhere around $3K LESS than filing jointly. And filling head of household alone does not qualify you for EIC, that's based on earned income alone. Yeah, she probably gets EIC because she's not claiming hubby's income and hers obciously falls in the EIC range. Only married filing separately can disqualify you for EIC.

The way she filed, she's basically telling the IRS "my husband abandoned me." Because that's one of the few reasons someone legally married can file as HOH.

Obviously I don't know the entire situation, but that's my take on what info you've given. What she did is just silly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)