Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you consider this bullying?***UPDATE IN RED****

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:12 AM
  • 27 Replies

No bashing PLEASE...I'm just looking for opinions on bullying.

My almost 15yo 9th grade son, had his glasses taken from a locker and put on the back of a toilet, by 1 boy("Sam"). In the process of "where are my glasses", 2 boys were named as taking the glasses. (this was during gym class)

"Sam" and "Jack". Apparently, Jack knew Sam took the glasses, and when my son was asking Jack, 'where are my glasses?' Jack was looking down and either laughing or smiling, (mocking my son). My son, grabbed Jack's sweatshirt and was like "Look at me, where are my glasses!"

The VP, sent the boys home, including Sam who apparently was lying about taking my son's glasses. She said she'd call me with her findings as she was going to continue her "investigation" (I use that term loosely), on Tuesday.

Tuesday morning I got a call from my son, saying that he has to serve a 4hr Sat detention, and has 3 days suspension (he called in "in advance" I think) that will be served if he has another physical altercation. What my son did was wrong, no argument. Bullying by definition of the schools handbook :

"Bullying" for purposes of this policy is defined as insults, taunts, or challenges, whether verbal or physical in nature, as well as in writing or via electronic measures, that are likely to intimidate or provoke a violent or disorderly response from the student being treated in this manner.

The actions of Sam (and Jack) by this definition, "provoked a violent or disorderly response" from my son. So:

1. Would you consider taking my son's glasses bullying? and a general question

2. Do you think bullies only come in size large or XL?

My son is 5'11" and is about 225#. IMHO, a child of ANY size can BE bullied and a child of ANY size can DO the bullying.

***UPDATE: Sorry ladies I went to bed at 9:30, didn't mean to blow off, but I could't keep my eyes open anymore. I asked my son if the other 2 boys got punished. This is what he told me:

"Sam" also got a Saturday detention (those are 4hrs btw, 8a-12n)

"Jack" the VP said, was punished enough when my son grabbed him.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:14 AM

I would consider taking another students property theft especially since i am guessing these arent simple reading glasses?..  All parties were wrong in their actions.  Unfortunately teen boys do that alot and lines get crossed.

slipperfeet
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:16 AM

1. Yes, those kids like little shits.

2. No, bullies are of all sizes.

serjil
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:18 AM

I suppose it could be considered bullying. Is this something that has been going on with these two boys for a while? I have always thought of bullying as an on-going problem, not just one incident. I suppose now in this day and age teasing is considered the same as bullying.

jennuine.mix
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:18 AM

1. Yes

2. No

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:19 AM

I get that "boyz will be boyz".

I just get so completely beside myself at these schools. They think that because my son is almost 6' and over 200# that he's completely in the wrong.

IMHO, the boy that took his glasses should also serve a Saturday detention. I agree it's theft. It doesn't matter that they were found. AND my son unbent them.

Is it just me here? I mean..WTF?

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would consider taking another students property theft especially since i am guessing these arent simple reading glasses?..  All parties were wrong in their actions.  Unfortunately teen boys do that alot and lines get crossed.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:21 AM

The boy "Sam" was in my son's science class last semester (ended in Jan) the have the same name. And my son was implicated of taking something (and returning it) by the same boy that took his glasses.

Beyond that idk.

Quoting serjil:

I suppose it could be considered bullying. Is this something that has been going on with these two boys for a while? I have always thought of bullying as an on-going problem, not just one incident. I suppose now in this day and age teasing is considered the same as bullying.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:22 AM

I just want everyone to know, I'm not abandoning this post. I need to do some work and then leave to drive home. I'll come back on and check replies before I go to sleep for the day.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM

I think Sam & Jack need their asses kicked. I am sorry they F*&& ed with your son. Yes they bullied your son.Bullying is another name for harassed. Bullies come in all sizes. In MHO your son should not be serving detention. That's sending out the wrong message.Was he supposed to just walk away? Was he supposed to allow these little shits to screw with him and destroy his property? Hell NO . Most parents I believe teach do not start the fight but stand up for yourself IF someone else does.

ambcutie24
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:25 AM

bump

mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:32 AM

All three boys were wrong.  not knowing the kids, they could have been joking around however it was obvious you son got upset and at hat point the others should have told where the glasses are.  If the other 2 children continue to taunt you son, I would call it bullying.

As for your son...no he did not bully, all though he should have told an adult.

My son was bullied at the beginnig of the year including pants being pulled down, names such as fagot being called, pushing in the halls, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)