Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnant Woman Mistakenly Given Abortion Pill

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:18 AM
  • 8 Replies
FORT LUPTON, Colo. - A Colorado woman who is six weeks pregnant says a pharmacist at a grocery store mistakenly gave her an abortion drug instead of an antibiotic and now she fears she will lose her unborn child.

Mareena Silva tells Denver's KMGH-TV that the pharmacist at the Safeway in Fort Lupton gave her methotrexate last week. The drug, intended for another woman, is used in chemotherapy and to terminate early-stage pregnancies.

Silva says she took a pill and checked the bottle after becoming sick. She was rushed to the hospital.

Doctors say Silva could miscarry or have a baby with birth defects.

A woman at Silva's apartment Tuesday said she's not talking to the media. Safeway says it has apologized to Silva and will pay medical expenses resulting from the mistake.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jennuine.mix
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:19 AM

I think I responded to this....maybe in another group.

but anyway...this is quite disturbing.. I will pray that she has a healthy baby.

mamivon2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Its said however didnt she read the medicine box/lable to make sure it is what its suppose to be

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM

I saw this on the news and was so sad for her about it. I will always double check my prescriptions now. You don't expect that this kind of mistake. :(

m0ml0v3s2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:26 AM

oh my this is why you dont just trust that they are giving the right meds, always double check. The pharmacist at walgreens had me giving my oldest (when she was 2) an adult dose of amoxicilyn sp? I couldnt understand why the bottle was gone in 3 days so I called them and then when I got no where I brought the bottle to them and they realized what was going on and fixed it.

vintage_pearl4
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:26 AM

I am not a sue happy person, but in this case...someone should really go down for this.  Not only should they cover her medical costs, but they should be held criminally responsible.  That is AWFUL.

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:26 AM

Quoting mamivon2:

Its said however didnt she read the medicine box/lable to make sure it is what its suppose to be

That's one of the parts that makes me even sadder for her about it. If she would have just looked at the name. I don't always look at the name on the bottle really, but I do read the instructions on the bottle and read what it is, though I'm not always gonna know if something is correct according to the name of the medicine.

ShannyLouisiany
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:07 AM
obviously there will be a lawsuit filed, and rightfully so, though I don't know if punitive damages are recoverable in that state. HOWEVER, what kind of idiot trusts a stranger so wholly that she was willing to put a substance into her pregnant body without bothering to even glance at what it was!?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamivon2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:11 AM

exactly.. My dd takes Keppra for seizure.. even she has been taking the same meds for like 2 years now I still ALWAYS check the meds, the bottle and everything

Quoting sheena696:

Quoting mamivon2:

That's one of the parts that makes me even sadder for her about it. If she would have just looked at the name. I don't always look at the name on the bottle really, but I do read the instructions on the bottle and read what it is, though I'm not always gonna know if something is correct according to the name of the medicine.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)