Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DODS- is it like free private school or just the same as public school?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:16 AM
  • 14 Replies

I'm asking because my kids are going to be three and four this year, and now is around the time for me and the ex husband to be talking about what type of school system we think is best for them...my daughter is going to Pre-K in the fall so I really want her to start life with the best education she can get...and being that they are deinfitly starting school soon I have agreed since I am the military parent (ex husband got out in 2009) its either were gonna keep them grounded in DODS or public school where he lives....I dont know how it has worked for other military brats shuttled off between parents but I am not going to be selfish when it comes to my kids and their education.....

so for those parents who have their kids in DODS, private school or public school, or have been in one of these school systems growing up, how does DODS measure up compared to private school and public school? Thanks in advance

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caliessence87
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:16 AM

BUMP!

caliessence87
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Come on heifers!!! As much as y'all argue about military spouse crap I would think yall would know something about the school systems........oh thank u in advance....lol

xxxAthena
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:02 AM

well..we have decided our son will either be in DODS or Private...DODs are great for them because they will be in school witha lot of kids that have the same life as they do and can make friends with other military children.  While i was at Camp Pendleton all of my on base friends sent their children to the DODs schools and they loved it.

my4yahoos
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:03 AM

The few bases we've been on the school on base is run by the local school district and is a public school.

I don't know about overseas bases because I think those are the only ones considered DODS schools. I could be wrong though.

JenB1983
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM

My oldest just started in a DoDDS-E(Europe) school last fall.  I personally love it.  The class sizes aren't too bad(about 20 kids per teacher+aide), and I really like that he;' surrounded by other children and staff members that understand what it's like to be military. 

lifeisboog
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Sorry momma. I would ask dh because he grew up going to DODS but he's showering right now. He's hella smart if that helps any. It may be mostly natural though. lol 

RmeWifey01
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:19 AM

My 5 y/o just started in Dods 2 weeks ago, and thus far it is EXACTLY like public school. Next year we are considering Catholic school. When my oldest was in school he attended Dods, and it was actually worse than public Stateside. If you go to Europe it is a little better than public. The bully factor is worse and the bullies rarely get punished if they are the children of the higher ranking Officers (O5-O6) and the higher E-ranks (E8/E9).

RmeWifey01
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:22 AM

There's Dods schools almost everywhere. We are Stateside and our ds is in one.

Quoting my4yahoos:

The few bases we've been on the school on base is run by the local school district and is a public school.

I don't know about overseas bases because I think those are the only ones considered DODS schools. I could be wrong though.

sharivegas0614
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I went to DOD schools for most of my life and they were far better than any public school I went to.My dad retired and we moved and went to a pubilc school in high school well in 9th grade I was relearning the same stuff I had already learned in 7th grade in a DOD school.I was very disappointed and ended up not learning anything and yes ended up dropping out @ 18.If you have the chance to put them in a DOD school I would do it.I wish my dad had stayed enlisted for several more years so I could continue going to a DOD school.

caliessence87
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Quoting RmeWifey01:

My 5 y/o just started in Dods 2 weeks ago, and thus far it is EXACTLY like public school. Next year we are considering Catholic school. When my oldest was in school he attended Dods, and it was actually worse than public Stateside. If you go to Europe it is a little better than public. The bully factor is worse and the bullies rarely get punished if they are the children of the higher ranking Officers (O5-O6) and the higher E-ranks (E8/E9).

Wow....really? they really never punish a kid based on their parents rank??? I would consider that somewhat of a bad thing right?? thats bullcrap....so even in the schools rank has its priviledges.....im bout to make a spinoff real quick....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)