Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question for the mom's that formula feed.

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:44 AM
  • 145 Replies

Ok my DS is 2 month's old.I was never able to BF any of my babies because the milk supply just wasnt there.He is on Gerber Good Start Gentle Plus.This formula make's him very gassy.He also spit's up alot.His pedi told me to put rice cereal in it to see if he hold's it down better.He hold's it down a little better but not as well as I hoped.I wish that his pedi would just put him on another brand.I'm sure he has reflux and that's just something that he will have to grow out of.I heard that Enfamil was really good formula.So I was just wondering for the mom's who have babies on Enfamil is it a good formula? 

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-xoxo-
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:47 AM

A friend of mine tried stirring the formula instead of shaking it and that helped with her baby's gas, have you tried that? There are supposed to be special bottles out there too, I can't remember what they're called though. 

.kk.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I formula fed, bfed and pumped. IMO the only difference between BRANDS is marketing and advertising. There are different scientific formulas from one 'type' or another, but all formulas are held to the same standards and have pretty much the same ingredients.

DeathGoddess
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:49 AM

my sil uses enfamil...and Dr. Browns bottles...they are supposed to help with gas. Good Luck!

kjbennett26
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Enfamil is the only brand I ever used with any of my 3 kids.

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:50 AM

This and try the playtex bottles with the bags b/c you can get MOST of the air out There are also bottles that are specially designed to reduce gas

Quoting .kk.:

I formula fed, bfed and pumped. IMO the only difference between BRANDS is marketing and advertising. There are different scientific formulas from one 'type' or another, but all formulas are held to the same standards and have pretty much the same ingredients.

Memigen
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:50 AM

My son is on WIC and they changed him from Similac Soy (orange can) to Gerber and he couldn't tolerate the protein's in it.  Maybe just trying the different brand will help.  You can get a script for a different formula from the pedi for the WIC department if you use them.  My son just tolerates the Similac Sensitive the best.

Good luck!

Bianca008
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Your pedi does not get to decide which formula you  use . That's why you can buy it pretty much anywhere . Good luck in finding the right one for you and your baby .

mommas3cubs
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:52 AM

See, I had that problem with Dylan and Travis both, but for us it was similac that did that we switched to Gerber Good Starts and everything was fine. With Kael we didn't even bother with Similac we went straight to Good Starts.Maybe try a different formula..GOOD LUCK!

mom2ljh
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM
Is he just spitting up, or is he in pain? If its just spit up, but he's happy, growing well and meeting milestones, then I wouldn't change anything. The spit up will lessen as his LES matures. If he IS in pain, or isn't growing well, etc., then that's another issue and it needs be looked into. That is when reflux is a problem and needs to be treated.
With my son, he didn't spit up; he vomited, profusely after every feeding. So, be wound up on Nutramigen. Sadly, even though the vomiting lessened, he was in severe pain, so then we had to treat the reflux.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Memigen
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM

There ARE differences.  Gerber uses different proteins in their formula than Similac; as well as I assume other brands are created in different ways.  Also concentrate tends to cut down on a lot of gas and is easier to mix as well as safer when you think about how they make the formula into a powder (look it up.... it's kind of disturbing and gross-they have to filter it through big fans which is how the bugs got into the powder formula  alittle while back-that doesn't happen with concentrate). 

Quoting .kk.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)