Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this serious?! can someone explain this to me?!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM
  • 14 Replies

First, i apologize if this was already posted, or if this offends anyone. I'm trying to make sense outta it and to be honest- i cant seem to get my mind around it.

Second, I do want to thank those who have served in the military; mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, uncles, aunts, cousins... even friends and those we dont personally know.

alright, so there's a news article on the yahoo home page, about "widow's tax" for the people who are the survivers of those who passed away, in a military event (war, etc).

in order to get their insurance, that their spouse's paid for- they have to marry another man! BUT! they have to remarry when they are 57 years old and older. (what about those who are married at 20, their spouse passes away in war-- in order to get the insurance, the survivor has to wait 37 years to remarry?)

and if they do get married, then they have to repay the insurance premiums before they can get their full benefit.

did i read all that correctly? does it make ANY sense?! i thought that the government would take care of their soldier's families. If it was me, and i got remarried- why would it matter? there would be the two incomes coming into the household, opposed to one income when the parent who didnt pass away, is working their butt off trying to keep their kids in the same financial comfort level as before.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110209/ap_on_re_us/us_widows__tax

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvMyLilMonkey3
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DeathGoddess
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM

BUMP!

Angelbaby08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:07 AM

BUMP!

NikkiDoll
by Nicole on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:09 AM

bump

xxxAthena
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:11 AM

as far as i know yes we loose some benefits if we remarry after they die...but ill be honest with you i haven't been briefed on it since he hasn't deployed after we were married and i haven't looked into it. the furthest we have gone in the death scenario are will's but if i had to pay a fee to get my tricare back im sure out of his life insurance policy it wouldn't be hardto do. WE may have to pay some type of fee but our children would still be covered and that is what is most important to me

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:11 AM

WTF thats screwed up  Guess we all messed up electing the people that run the government I hope to hell you read it wrong

bananahammock1
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:12 AM

BUMP!

CountryStrong84
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:12 AM

if im not mistaken...a servicemembers sgli which is usually 400,000 doubles if they are killed overseas. Thats close to a million bucks...maybe they are depending on them using that to live.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:12 AM

bump

kayandjsmom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)